Author Topic: homeoblock device  (Read 8231 times)

earl25

homeoblock device
« on: March 12, 2015, 04:09:26 PM »
whats everyones opinion on this

http://www.facialdevelopment.com/

Lazlo

• Private
Re: homeoblock device
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:43:53 PM »
What's complicated about this is that traditional braces especially the DAMON system where they work on expanding the arch. But the best results could be achieved if you expanded your palate first then had traditional Damon braces.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »
I actually just had an appt. to discuss this specific appliance. I'm not a good candidate, but it was still interesting. Does it work? Lol, I don't know.

I thought a huge selling point was you only wear it at night, so you're able to exist normally during the day. They recommended putting it in as soon as you're done eating at night in order to capture a few extra hours. They also said this process, in adults, takes more like 1 1/2 to 2 years (in their experience). They said you often need to finish with braces to line everything up.

My thoughts? I don't see it causing much harm other than potentially losing that 2 years of your time. I would watch to make sure your teeth are not being flared/tipped outward, too. My main concern is actually the acrylic bite block that's on one side. Bite blocks equal the potential for an open bite, but because this particular appliance is only worn at night I would imagine that at least reduces that risk.

The person I consulted with also said this is one of many similar appliances. This one just gets more attention, but there are several to pick from depending on specific needs/wants.

terry947

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 10:43:09 PM »
problem with the homeoblock is that you only wear it at night time. So as youre expanding the palate at night, it can go back to its original position during the day, unless you maintain proper tongue posture. There are better alternatives like orthotropic expander and the ALF. Also the schwartz is ok but it takes up too much space in the palate.

Also the problem with the homeoblock is that it has bite blocks either on both sides or only on one side (which i don't understand why) but this could mess up your bite. It could create a posterior open bite or whatever.

Like Lazlo said, its better to expand the arch and use Damons or other self ligating braces to straighten and further expand the dental arch.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 08:26:34 PM »
whats everyones opinion on this

http://www.facialdevelopment.com/
What are you trying to achieve?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 06:32:13 AM »
Honestly all this stuff sounds like penis/breast enlargement snake oil.  Damon braces are simply braces without the ligature elastics.  The only way to expand the palate as an adult is through surgery.

terry947

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »
@27F - was the biobloc just a expander that was sort of vaulted and had an expansion screw or was it the device that keeps your mouth closed 24/7? how long did you Wear it for and was the expansion you got more dental or actaully skeletal expansion?

LoveofScotch

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 05:10:37 PM »
I actually think it's cool you found someone willing to help you experiment with this, 27F.

Just a FYI to others, I would watch the appliances that utilize bite blocks (or something similar). It's a great way to potentially end up with an open bite.

terry947

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 12:03:21 PM »
Mark505 - that is exactly my plan of action. Try the less invasive route for 1-2 years and see where it takes me. I also have little hope for this but I'd like to give it a try.

In 1-2 years I will (100%) get jaw surgery, le fort I being the bare minimum.  I'm hoping for some kind of modified le fort II that keller does, that'd be amazing because I have paranasal hollowing. My nasal bone looks fine but the zygos are recessed.

terry947

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 11:08:59 PM »
Isn't paranasal hollowing the upper maxilla and zygo area recession while the nasal bone stays in the correct place? Also what models have are high set cheekbones that are also wide so it gives them the hollow cheek look.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
By itself, it's snake oil I hear. Maybe in kids but nothing that can't be achieved through more conventional means. Combined with LIPUS, I think there's real potential for movements in adults without surgery. No one seems to be studying it. Frustrating.

terry947

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 10:24:43 PM »
@ molestrip- what's LIPUS and what are you talking about?

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 10:30:22 PM »
LIPUS = low intensity pulsed ultrasound. Acceledent uses the technology to accelerate bone changes. There's a competing infrared based technology as well. What would have taken 7 years in an adult could be done in 3 years, borderline viable. You couldn't remove bone but you could add growth in desired places in combination with the right appliances, maybe even do more exotic maneuvers like move the whole midface. No surgery so little to no risk except making things much worse and, I suppose, any appliances installed to effect the appropriate movements. I would think it could be tweaked to trigger resorption as well.

We need an endless supply of bunnies.

terry947

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 10:33:45 PM »
Wow cool. So you're saying there's a machine that helps grow new bone?

Is this available to the public?

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 10:51:26 PM »
Yes, in a few forms. Exogen makes a device but it's not indicated for the face. Acceledent, as I mentioned, is available to orthodontists already and I plan to use it with my braces. OrthoPulse is under trial now but I hear it looks comparably good.

The only facial applications I've seen are non-surgical treatment of hemifacial microsomia and to speed up implant integration. It seems like it could be used to accelerate healing after jaw surgery but no surgeons I met had heard of it. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig, at least use a real guinea pig first. Or reduce non-union rate, strengthen bond, and avoid notching in addition to stem cells. Pretty cool revolutionary technologies.

With newer less invasive cuts, improvements to biodegradable plates and screws (like the silk ones demonstrated at Tufts recently), and medication to stimulate nerve growth, jaw surgery could become considerably less invasive in 10-20 years at least.