Author Topic: Would a chin wing work for my asymmetry?  (Read 6299 times)

Apotheosis

Would a chin wing work for my asymmetry?
« on: April 14, 2015, 03:09:37 AM »
i have fairly noticeable asymmetry with my jaw as my right mandible is significantly smaller than my left.

Unfortunately I have a very high amount of facial asymmetry(Bottom 20th percentile as measured by one of those beauty sites) so I am afraid that fixing my mandibular asymmetry will highlight my cheekbone and eye asymmetry. My features and skull are so asymmetrical that glasses on my face sit lopsided/diagonally on my skull. (High asymmetry[As well as many other undesirable and unhealthy traits) correlate with older mothers, as well as smoking or drinking during pregnancy, so don't make your kids suffer like my mother did by having me at 40 please) When i wear rectangular glasses, both eyes are noticeably off center as well, to the point people ask if my glasses are bent. I have high bodily asymmetry as well, because I have scoliosis(C shaped curve in my lower back) and asymmetrical shoulders. Everyone has asymmetry to some degree, but i'm afraid I've passed the threshold to the point where it's noticeable to others(like in the glasses example) But i'm getting off topic here. 

Here's a quick crude morph I made showing what results may look like if I drop my right mandible.

Here's a best case scenario if I can get a doctor to drop both of my mandibles while fixing most of the asymmetry, along with chin widening(As I understand it, that is possible with a chin wing)

Do you think this result is achievable?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:23:31 AM by Apotheosis »

PloskoPlus

Re: Would a chin wing work for my asymmetry?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 04:15:18 AM »
I don't think Wolford does chin wings, but this is an impressive result:

http://www.drlarrywolford.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Before-After-Case-34.png

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 12:57:49 PM »
I've read that chin wings tend to make asymmetries even more noticable.

girl

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 01:24:00 PM »
You need upper and lower jaw surgery for that. I had deviated jaws and was talked into a genio. The results were horrifying.

A chin wing will just advance everything out asymmetrically.

BTW, it looks/sounds like you have hemifacial microsomia. My glasses do that as well.

Apotheosis

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 01:48:41 AM »
If it's the entire side of your face, just fix all the issues. I think it'll still look asymmetrical with just the chin wing.  Perhaps a chin wing, fat grafting would even everything out.
Haven't seen anyone actually fix cheekbone asymmetry before, so I just have to attempt to fix the easier issues like my ramus.

You need upper and lower jaw surgery for that. I had deviated jaws and was talked into a genio. The results were horrifying.

A chin wing will just advance everything out asymmetrically.

BTW, it looks/sounds like you have hemifacial microsomia. My glasses do that as well.
i'll have to go through bimax to fix this? I am sure my bite and whatnot is somewhat asymmetrical as are many parts of my body, but my jaws and chin aren't recessed from profile. I could definitely use a lefort+BSSO, but that would be a best case scenario as if I was trying to look as aesthetic as possible.

I'm just trying to minimize time spent in recovery/preparation and fix the easiest and most glaring issues I have, like my mandibular asymmetry.

Sorry to hear about the glasses also friend, I would stay away from those rectangular, thick framed type glasses, because they seem to highlight asymmetry. Go for wireframes or bigger glasses if you can't wear contacts at all(Personally I have switched to contacts)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 01:57:14 AM by Apotheosis »

Apotheosis

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 02:02:07 AM »
I don't think Wolford does chin wings, but this is an impressive result:

http://www.drlarrywolford.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Before-After-Case-34.png
That is a great result. What did he have done? The more I look at my face, the more i think my ears are the main issue and not my eyes(Eyes are still asymmetrical but not as much as his are) Seeing as how he got his ears fixed, it looks like there is hope for me, to be able to wear glasses normally.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 02:01:45 AM »
It looks like you have hemifacial microsomia or hemifacial hypertrophy.  This can be improved with the right surgeon, but you would likely need double jaw surgery.  I really don't think a chin wing is the right thing for you. 

There was someone that posted about her jaw surgery for hemifacial microsomia in the user blog section. 

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 05:24:36 AM »
To my knowledge, cheekbone asymmetry is due to the skull- in general?  So I suppose this means the whole side of your skull is either too high, too low, too far up or down, etc.

Would the cheek movement really fix the issue?  I did notice even with cheek reductions that if the asymmetry is present, the after still looked a bit off and they still needed some sort of fat grafting or implant (total waste if you have to add on even after surgery, imo...).  I'd like to know what happens if you do decide to proceed with it.

One surgeon dismissed the possibility of a modified LF3 for me because of zygomatic asymmetry.  According to him it would have become more obvious with advancement.