Author Topic: [Pics] Should I get Jaw Surgery?  (Read 12080 times)

Elyuu

[Pics] Should I get Jaw Surgery?
« on: May 02, 2015, 09:37:20 AM »
(I'll continue to edit/modify this thread as I go - Treat it as a mini reference/diary for those who may be able to find useful information to help them)

Update - I'm definitely considering Jaw surgery, and looking to begin consultations within the next month or 2. Now I'm seeking advice and suggestions on procedures to have.

Anyone in the London, UK area - If you have any advice for surgeons to see, I'd greatly appreciate it! Also open to the suggestions of going abroad into Europe.

Thank you!

---

Hi guys.

I'm a long time lurker here. I think I've made this thread about 4-5 times now before deleting it.

I'm in my mid 20s and seeking advice on what to do next. I say that because a few years ago, I had Sliding Genio done, and thought that was good enough. After the healing, I realised that I didn't achieve the profile I was hoping for, and my jaw + jawline was pretty much non-existent.

I will be consulting with maxfac surgeons within the next month or two.

I guess my biggest worry is, having had surgery done previously on my chin, is my situation something that can be worked around for jaw surgery? I'm in no rush and want to do it properly this time with braces, surgery and post-op. Do my pictures look like something that can be worked on? And what surgeries would benefit my case?

Thanks for taking the time to look, read and reply. I'm trying to keep my outlook positive! I'll update any consultations I have in the near future, here!

List of things I see wrong with the lower half of my face -

1. Roundish shape from the front/Lack of definition.
2. From the side/profile, my jaw line is receding and lacking. (Maybe too high also?)
3. Chin is bent and still lacking somewhat, even after Sliding Genio.

Pictures -

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:33:56 PM by Elyuu »

Tom2

Re: [Pics] Should I get Jaw Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 04:31:14 AM »
You might not be completely happy with your look but frankly a lot of people are not in today's looks based society.

So - firstly - if I saw you, you would seem like another dude to me.    You don't stand out as being in obvious need of anything.

Now, for the gains you may achieve - are you really willing to have your skull cut and moved around with all the associated recovery and risks of such surgeries???

If I were you, I'd focus my energies elsewhere.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:22:27 AM »
You mention you had a sliding bsso. Any before pics? Any X-rays?

Elyuu

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »
You might not be completely happy with your look but frankly a lot of people are not in today's looks based society.

So - firstly - if I saw you, you would seem like another dude to me.    You don't stand out as being in obvious need of anything.

Now, for the gains you may achieve - are you really willing to have your skull cut and moved around with all the associated recovery and risks of such surgeries???

That's fair advice and I thank you for it.

Aesthetically, I did feel like my jawline was rather shapeless, a bit high from the side and lacking any sort of definition all round.

In practical terms, I do have an overbite when my teeth are together.

I took some photos whilst trying to hold as natural as a position I could (Excuse the bed hair!) -

Thank you for your reply!

You mention you had a sliding bsso. Any before pics? Any X-rays?

Ah, I should! I'll have a dig for them in my filing storage and see if I can get them uploaded here. I don't have a scanner though.

Thank you for your reply!

terry947

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »
ultimately only you can answer this question. Do you need it? no, would you most likely look better if you got it? yes

MrFox

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:55:09 PM »

Why bother trying to lose weight... pleanty of people are overweight in today's society right.

Sure there are limitations to what can be done with surgery but even small changes can significantly improve someone's quality of life.

The recovery is absolutely worth it, assuming the result is good.

OP yes you should have jaw surgery and jaw angle implants that also augment the jawline. Aditionally, either implants or osteotomy to give definition to the cheekbones.

To hell with telling people they are fine and to get on with their lives, nobody wants to be destined for mediocrity.
Just make sure you find a good surgeon, you can't take the risk on a no name.

Tom2

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 12:59:30 PM »
Why bother trying to lose weight... pleanty of people are overweight in today's society right.

Sure there are limitations to what can be done with surgery but even small changes can significantly improve someone's quality of life.

The recovery is absolutely worth it, assuming the result is good.

OP yes you should have jaw surgery and jaw angle implants that also augment the jawline. Aditionally, either implants or osteotomy to give definition to the cheekbones.

To hell with telling people they are fine and to get on with their lives, nobody wants to be destined for mediocrity.
Just make sure you find a good surgeon, you can't take the risk on a no name.

Are you seriously comparing losing weight and jaw surgery?   That is foolish.  One requires exercise and diet modification in most cases - one requires multiple incisions in your skin/mouth and every other risk and possible short term/long term risk associated with surgery.   

And please note that you even qualified the benefit "assuming the result is good".

This is a big surgery.     One should not be so quick to dismiss the risks.

girl

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 06:02:10 PM »

Who cares whether a lot of people are or aren't happy with their looks? It's a personal thing.

OP - I think truthfully, you could benefit from jaw surgery. Whether you want it or not is down to you.

girl

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 06:05:49 PM »
Are you seriously comparing losing weight and jaw surgery?   That is foolish.  One requires exercise and diet modification in most cases - one requires multiple incisions in your skin/mouth and every other risk and possible short term/long term risk associated with surgery.   

And please note that you even qualified the benefit "assuming the result is good".

This is a big surgery.     One should not be so quick to dismiss the risks.

Yeah, but you didn't give any specific feedback on his aesthetic concerns. Saying something like "well, it's not like it's uncommon for people to be unhappy with their appearance nowadays, so on that basis you should just concentrate on something else" probably isn't what he came here to find out.

Tom2

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 06:47:41 PM »
Yeah, but you didn't give any specific feedback on his aesthetic concerns. Saying something like "well, it's not like it's uncommon for people to be unhappy with their appearance nowadays, so on that basis you should just concentrate on something else" probably isn't what he came here to find out.

Point taken.   And I understand it is important.   But anyone, OP or other, if they don't really, really medically need the surgery, I would caution running on the emotions and feelings about looks driving the decision.   

I say that because I have seen more than a few pictures on here of people looking at very serious surgeries to correct conditions that while being important to them -may not be the level of concern warranting these surgeries.

In the end, we all offer our thoughts to help someone who is having feelings similar to our own current or past feelings or situations.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »
I can tell right now from the morphology face. If you don't have sleep apnea now, you will most certainly develop it as an adult. You have that extremely retrusive profile.

So, yeah you need a jaw surgeon who is ethical most likely need a CCW rotation to really open up that airway. Get a ceph and ask the surgeon what your airway is. If it's a lot less than 12 mm (mine is 4 which is terrible) you're candidate for this surgery. So you actually need the surgery to optimize your health.

Now, cosmetically it will help. But there will be some other issues, your upper lip will become more protrusive. so while your lower jaw will be more defined you may develop a bit of that chimp look. But only minimally.

Don't get extractions under any circumstances.

f**k i'm so good at this now. I'm gonna sign of Dr. Lazlo (Maxillofacial Diagnostician and Pathologist) from now on.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 10:21:31 PM »
I would also be wondering about sleep apnea in the future. The OP mentioned he had a sliding genioplasty which makes one wonder even more about airway dimensions.

My facial profile is similar but overall more projected. I am still considering surgery for sleep alone as I think it is such a crucial overlooked key to good health and longevity.

post a ceph!

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 11:12:50 PM »
I would also be wondering about sleep apnea in the future. The OP mentioned he had a sliding genioplasty which makes one wonder even more about airway dimensions.

My facial profile is similar but overall more projected. I am still considering surgery for sleep alone as I think it is such a crucial overlooked key to good health and longevity.

post a ceph!

very true, that's one of the number one reasons to get this surgery.

needagameplan

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 11:24:29 PM »
I can tell right now from the morphology face. If you don't have sleep apnea now, you will most certainly develop it as an adult. You have that extremely retrusive profile.

So, yeah you need a jaw surgeon who is ethical most likely need a CCW rotation to really open up that airway. Get a ceph and ask the surgeon what your airway is. If it's a lot less than 12 mm (mine is 4 which is terrible) you're candidate for this surgery. So you actually need the surgery to optimize your health.

Now, cosmetically it will help. But there will be some other issues, your upper lip will become more protrusive. so while your lower jaw will be more defined you may develop a bit of that chimp look. But only minimally.

Don't get extractions under any circumstances.

f**k i'm so good at this now. I'm gonna sign of Dr. Lazlo (Maxillofacial Diagnostician and Pathologist) from now on.

how consistent are cephs from one day to the next?

like does it matter how your allergies are, or what position you are standing in (your posture)??

how easy is it to get a ceph? can I just tell my gp I think I may have sleep apnea?

terry947

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 11:24:55 PM »
Sleep apnea and stress are equally number 1 killers. Nothing is more important than breathing.