Author Topic: Opinions sort on upper jaw position  (Read 11287 times)

PloskoPlus

Re: Opinions sort on upper jaw position
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 03:15:37 AM »
BEN  you look normal!

IANAD, but you may be misled by the chin.  You can have a big projecting chin and recessed jaws.

Ben30

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 04:42:23 AM »
IANAD, but you may be misled by the chin.  You can have a big projecting chin and recessed jaws.

I think the dentist who did my extractions and braces as a teen somewhat created my chin. One of the few things i remember him saying at the end of treatment when he was summing up was: "you've got a nice masculine chin now"

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 06:57:35 AM »
27F, if you want to maintain any form of respect from others, then re-read your post and remind yourself that is one way not to do it.

I'm simply referring to his nasal breathing issues. First, they might not be related to the extractions at all. Many people have nasal congestion, just like many have had extractions. Second, advancement alone does not guarantee there will be any form of improvement to this (may I remind you this was listed as his only functional issue). Seeing a picture and saying he "has to have surgery" is dramatic.

If you take this kind of black and white aggressive approach in a consultation with a surgeon, then good luck to you. Nobody wants to work with a know-it-all patient.

jesterofmalice

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 07:19:58 AM »
Dentures go over the gum, so that's why her lips looks better supported in the after pic.
I don't think moving someones teeth really effects the look of the lips much since it's the gum/jaw that protrudes the most, with the teeth sitting underneath.
You'd need to move the jaw forward.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 07:54:49 AM »
Dentures go over the gum, so that's why her lips looks better supported in the after pic.
I don't think moving someones teeth really effects the look of the lips much since it's the gum/jaw that protrudes the most, with the teeth sitting underneath.
You'd need to move the jaw forward.

The teeth definitely affect how the lips look. The surgeon that botched my surgery tried to explain my weak upper lip that I was left with by saying that the apperance of the lips depends on how much the teeth flare etc. That's not to say that the upper jaw doesn't need to come forward though.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 11:27:55 PM »
As a kid my orthod didn't expand my palate he just shifted everything as far back as he could to mask my overbite.  Now i have a narrow palate, wide 14 year old molars which prove the braces kept the rest of my palate narrow, a constant stuffy nose and sleep apnea.

You thought about a SARPE procedure as a possible treatment option? It's  been discussed before but in such a case it's likely best to avoid touching the turbinates and focus on improving the room for them via surgical expansion. The sleep apnea is more tricky as it's more common in class II individuals because of the recessed lower jaw, but can definitely be exacerbated by increased nasal airway resistance.

Ben30

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 11:31:23 PM »
Dammit i just wrote a massive reply explaining things in great detail painfully on my cellphone and lost the whole thing. 4th time this has happened now. Grrrr

Ben30

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 11:33:34 PM »
You thought about a SARPE procedure as a possible treatment option? It's  been discussed before but in such a case it's likely best to avoid touching the turbinates and focus on improving the room for them via surgical expansion. The sleep apnea is more tricky as it's more common in class II individuals because of the recessed lower jaw, but can definitely be exacerbated by increased nasal airway resistance.

hey yes i have considered sarpe, i would have had it in the first operation but i was instead advised to have single stage surgery with a multi piece leforte.

Removing turbinate tissue  yes i don't consider it as an option it just doesn't make sense to me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:09:09 PM by Ben30 »

Ben30

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 11:43:48 PM »
I don't have sleep apnea just an intermittent  stuffed nose which sounds minor but has nearly driven me to suicide when it was blocked solid for 6 months once in the past. For now it just comes and goes as it pleases. Ive been trying anything i can think of to resolve it.

Ben30

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 11:47:07 PM »
Also i just wanted to say my bite is distressing. It doesn't seem apparent to orthos and surgeons ive seen but who new a 4mm overbite with tiny over jet at least in my case just doesn't work.

Ben30

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 11:54:20 PM »
A surgeon in my country talked about transverse maxillary distraction, i went to see him had a full consultation got all the records ct scan and talked to him at which point he didn't seem to know what distraction osteogenisis was. It's all been a bit disapointing. I have to find the right surgeon somehow. I've thought about just getting a straight simple advancement of the upper jaw followed by decompensating The lower teeth to suit.

Ben30

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 12:08:32 AM »
Why technically did the surgeon say the planned expansion was not achieved?

Opinions from colleagues:  I think they call this "circling the wagons."

27F I like your direct-style input.

Hello the buccal tubbing on molars became entangled causing incomplete expansion and the left side of my jaw to become canted inwards. As obvious to me as this was they would not acknowledge it.

I was as a courtesy he said offered an rpe device at 2.5 month post op. No sorry it was offered by him as a sign of good faith. While surgeon was initially unconcerned by the botched expansion my persistence prevalled. Although ultimately i rejected the intervention and ened treatment at 3 months post. I feel had many strong reasons for ending it.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »
The only thing that is certain is that daily Afrin will make things definitely worse in the long term!

terry947

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 10:47:40 PM »
Empty nose syndrome scares the s**t out if me. Never let surgeons remove or f**k with your turbinates.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2015, 11:04:56 PM »
they trim them mofo, but don't get them fully removed fo sho.