Author Topic: Opinions sort on upper jaw position  (Read 11293 times)

Ben30

Opinions sort on upper jaw position
« on: July 17, 2015, 07:25:41 PM »
Here is a picture of me smiling, please what is your opinion on the position of my upper jaw?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ben30

Re: Opinions sort on upper jaw position
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »
Thanks for that 27f

Charles-Guillaume

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:33:28 AM »
I agree with the above, you would benefit from a CCW LeFort I advancement. Your upper maxilla and lower jaw look good already.

Ben30

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 12:09:22 AM »
27f those are pretty large movements your morph shows, what do you expect would happen to my nose..could it become pig like up turned?
charles you say my upper maxilla and lower jaw look good already perhaps bicuspids extractions have played a part in the dished in appearance of my mouth.
Some on here know I've already had surgery to advance my upper jaw, but it was only advanced a small amount.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 01:25:21 AM »
27f those are pretty large movements your morph shows, what do you expect would happen to my nose..could it become pig like up turned?
charles you say my upper maxilla and lower jaw look good already perhaps bicuspids extractions have played a part in the dished in appearance of my mouth.
Some on here know I've already had surgery to advance my upper jaw, but it was only advanced a small amount.

What were you movements?  Has your breathing improved?  Why did you have extractions (you were a class III, not class II)?  Did you manage to get a refund from the first surgeon?

Ben30

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 02:27:47 AM »
Hi movements, supposedly  advanced about 2mm. Im still engaged in seeking a refund. My nose is still blocked a significant amount of time. The Latest thing im testing to resolve it is dietary fasting, ill see where that takes me. I was borderline class 3, I geuss the extractions where an effort to mask this.

Ben30

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 01:45:59 PM »
The surgeon was pleased with the result, although he was sorry the planned expansion was not achieved. To me there where many problems with my treatment including 19 months of braces prior to surgery during which the orthodontist achieved no decompensation and infact only further  compensated my teeth.

The surgeon has gotten some opinions from some of his colleagues they've have stated that my profile is pleasing. That any reasonable patient would be happy with the results. The maxillofacial surgery is largely subjective and so on.

I would like to get some more opinions from anyone and hopefully some surgeons who visit this site will also chime in. My simplified opinion at this stage is that my upper jaw is recessed by about 8mm.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 05:28:04 PM »
would you post a profile pic with a neutral expression? Smiling pulls back the soft tissue and can alter the appearance. On spec, i personally would not have any surgery done if this was me.

People are quick to state that you need jaw surgery because your jaw is recessed. Unless you have a problem and the source of his problem is jaw recession, then there is no reason to do anything.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 06:00:37 PM »
would you post a profile pic with a neutral expression? Smiling pulls back the soft tissue and can alter the appearance. On spec, i personally would not have any surgery done if this was me.

People are quick to state that you need jaw surgery because your jaw is recessed. Unless you have a problem and the source of his problem is jaw recession, then there is no reason to do anything.
He still has breathing problems.  Actually both jaws are advanced in class iii cases more often than one would think. A reduction genio would also be required then.

Ben30

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 09:54:51 PM »
If my overbite was reduced and the left side of my jaw was uprighted my bite would likely be ok. Having a 4mm overbite with little over jet is not working for me nor is the open bite on the left side due to the complication encountered during expansion. Then there is the breathing which is a huge deal for me and the unsightly recessed look of my mouth also not ideal.

How are surgeon to fix an abnormality if it isn't known what one is?

it has been said my lower teeth are compensated to mask the class 3. it's my understanding if this isn't unmasked before fixing the top jaw position then my upper jaw is still not positioned correctly.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone they are all appreciated. I have a hearing in 6 weeks so this all helps to get my head straight and plan the best way forward

Ben30

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 10:04:40 PM »
Here's a normal profile shot

[attachment deleted by admin]

jesterofmalice

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »
You look normal in your relaxed profile pic to me.

In your smiling pic, your jaws look  ever so slightly recessed to me.
I'd say your jaws are similar to mine. Orthos have NOT  suggested surgery for me, saying that my case is too mild to warrant major jaw surgery. (My jaws are slightly recessed I think)
I also have retroclined teeth and an overbite which I think makes it look even worse.

Also, I actually think you look better in your original smiling pic than you do in the 'morphs'.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »

But he has breathing issues due to extractions... he needs revision.

Not sure his nasal issue will be corrected with advancement. Also, his breathing issues might have nothing to do with his extractions. It's a minor point, but it's generally best not to state suspicions as fact.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 09:48:26 PM »
Q: "how am I stating 'suspicions as facts'?"

A: "He has breathing issues due to extractions"

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 11:29:34 PM »
Yeah and also he most likely does have breathing issues due to extractions.