Author Topic: Invisalign causing problems already :(  (Read 2070 times)

molestrip

• Private
Invisalign causing problems already :(
« on: July 22, 2015, 01:24:46 PM »
So I started with an anterior open bite. I think it was pretty large to being with but I closed it down over the years by grinding down the molars. I figured Invisalign would be the way to go since it would provide some protection at night to further damage to those teeth. Now that I've got the trays in, it's causing problems. The tightness and knobs aren't an issue at all but the extra thickness to the molars has busted my bite back open. I don't have a ruler handy but that's got to be at least 5mm. I've been wearing the things for only 2 hours now and my masseters are already hurting and my mouth is dry because I can barely close my lips. It's not too bad with just one tray in. Thoughts on what I should do? Some that I've considered:

- Bail and ask for braces. My treatment plan called for them starting in 6mo anyway. Accept further damage to molars since I can't wear a mouth guard.
- Try to do Invisalign on just one arch.
- Give it a few days to adjust
- ???

From a quick Google search, it sounds like there's a non-refundable Invisalign lab fee, something like $1500 at a minimum. Strangely, I don't find much on this topic on the web. I guess large anterior open bites like mine are relatively rare? I'm pretty distressed by this right now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:46:12 PM by molestrip »

terry947

Re: Invisalign causing problems already :(
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 01:56:28 PM »
Pictures not working and id say to opt for braces. Self-lighting if possible.. Lesser chance of root resorption and teeth move slightly faster.

If you can afford to lose $1500 then switch.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:20:19 PM by terry947 »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 03:07:10 PM »
Definitely switch. DO it now while you have a chance. Go with someone who knows Damon braces well. And is against extractions. Braces will hurt a lot at first too, for the first week, but braces are far more accurate. Who the f**k suggested you do invisalign? Invisalign are for f**ks**t.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 07:49:33 PM »
I updated the link to the picture.

Honestly, I didn't research the braces too much. An orthodontist friend told me to go by reputation rather than technology, an opinion I've seen echoed around. I figured Invisalign would be better for my open bite by providing protection to my molars, which are already heavily worn down. I can't wear my night guard in braces and the alternative given to me, doing one arch at a time, wasted some time. I neglected to consider the impact on my bite however.

As for the orthodontist, another orthodontist in town gave me the names of the surgeons who do the most adult surgical cases. He was the only one who is board certified, on staff at a nearby dental school, and did a neighbor's braces. I think he's known for lecturing on lingual braces, which I've already ruled out due to my large tongue.

He told me there'd be no difference in my case between Invisalign and braces. The plan was to do Invisalign for 5-6mo and then braces for the remainder, starting right before surgery. My total treatment time is only 12mo with no extractions (except wisdom teeth), periodontal issues, or significant relapse. Only problem is my surgeon wants 9mo after extracting wisdom teeth before doing surgery so I've got an extra 3mo of slack to play with now, unless he'd accept 6mo as my orthodontist expected. I heard from a few orthodontists that my case is "very easy". There isn't really "a plan" orthodontists give you to compare, just prices. I met with him today and he said we could consider other options if I don't adjust, such as doing Invisalign on one arch and braces on the other or just switch to braces now.

I haven't discussed braces with him yet. All the orthodontists in town with the most adult surgical experience seem to primarily do Invisalign. They all seemed to offer all the major brace types but the one I picked doesn't list any specific technologies on his website. I checked the Damon website and he's not listed as a provider. I noticed he uses a number of other 3M products so perhaps he uses their self-ligating equivalent. I could ask?

I think I could still switch to braces but unclear what kind, without too much impact since my original quote was for any type I'd like. He might be annoyed that he spent this money and had to do the extra labor but the cost of braces isn't much from my understanding and we were going to go that route eventually anyway. Switching providers... possible but would be ugly. Contract is signed and trays have been ordered so I'd have to work it out with him somehow, probably somewhere between $0 and $8k. That's the kind of thing that earns you a reputation in town so I'd need a good reason to do so, more than just a little better.

You think it makes a big difference on such a short treatment time? I'd have spent more effort on it except it didn't seem worth it for only 12mo of treatment. Seemed like I needed someone with more experience working with remote surgeons at the time, given that I'm using one from CA. I'm still waiting to be scheduled to remove the wisdom teeth, mostly due to my procrastination. I have an appointment on Aug 12th, hopefully I can get scheduled soon after. Somehow that bothers me more than jaw surgery at this point.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 07:55:48 PM »
Thought I would do a separate post on the pros and cons of Invisalign which are evident now.

Pros:
- You barely see them
- Protects teeth for bruxers
- Get a small break every day when you take them off
- Easier for dentist to clean/repair around, though large restorations can throw it off.

Cons:
- You can't eat/drink except during that 2 hour window. Only water.
- The knobs stain easily I read.
- Teeth don't remineralize well so junk food must be to a minimum.
- You need to wear them 22 hours a day.
- Interferes with speech.
- Opens the bite, a lot for people with open bites. That hurts facial muscles.
- Can't do certain movements.
- May take longer
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:26:17 AM by molestrip »

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 12:39:58 AM »
An update to my previous post, my muscles seem to have calmed down about it. Come to think of it, this is how open my bite was 15 years ago. Looking back, man I can see how it made me look pretty unattractive. Anyway, the muscles have calmed down a lot since. I'm a little concerned about the impact the extra load will have on my TMJs but I don't have a history of problems and it's only for 5mo so thinking of just letting it be. Ortho confirmed I can switch to braces at any time if needed.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 12:49:20 AM »
An update to my previous post, my muscles seem to have calmed down about it. Come to think of it, this is how open my bite was 15 years ago. Looking back, man I can see how it made me look pretty unattractive. Anyway, the muscles have calmed down a lot since. I'm a little concerned about the impact the extra load will have on my TMJs but I don't have a history of problems and it's only for 5mo so thinking of just letting it be. Ortho confirmed I can switch to braces at any time if needed.
Maybe try to some valium at night.