Author Topic: What can you tell me about the large space behind your 2nd molars?  (Read 4965 times)

molestrip

• Private
I'm used to no empty space behind my teeth. After extracting the wisdom teeth, there's going to be ~1cm. After my MMA, there's going to be another 7mm. That seems like a lot of toothless gum, am I correct? Nearly enough for two fully eruped molars in fact. Is it going to be weird or hard to eat?

molestrip

• Private
Re: What can you tell me about the large space behind your 2nd molars?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 09:24:27 PM »
This forum needs a like button so I can thank repliers :)

Alue

• Private
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 03:53:01 PM »
I had bicuspids and wisdom teeth extracted, my bicuspids were extracted just as they were coming in  >:(.  I have the big spaces behind my teeth too.  I wonder what it will be like if I ever do get the surgery done.

Tom2

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 07:35:55 PM »
I still have my lower wisdoms but not the upper ones.  So until jaw surgery two teeth bit into gums above.   

I didn't even think about it.   The gums toughened up and if something was hard that could hurt the gums I didnt chew it there - without ever thinking about it.

The only time I noticed it was if one of those gum areas got some kind of inflammation like a  Canker sore which was very rare.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 10:40:33 PM »
So they're out and so far not an issue. Not sure about eating yet as I'm not there. I hear I'll learn. My mother had them removed too because back then it was routine. One thing I've noticed is that there's a lot more room for my tongue now.Feels less cramped in there.

Tom2

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 02:51:19 AM »
good luck with the healing.

I still remember the blood clots that would grow and hang down and then eventually fall off.....eeww they were gross.  Not bad just jello like and gross.       You'll be fine in short time on this one.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 11:09:32 PM »
I know it's silly but I've been kind of in shock about it all weekend. At first the extra space felt nice, biting my tongue and cheeks less. But then the reality set in, they're not coming back. I think I should have fought harder to keep them. I can't help but wonder if those teeth were the main reason I don't have TMD while most people with steep mandibular inclines do.

On the flip side, three of them had fillings already and they're all worn and need crowns. I banked them so I have some stem cells now. Whatever problems they reportedly cause in old age, I won't have. The pockets were good but they did tend to inflame and they were bleeding a lot with braces. And chances are good whatever surgeon I'd have picked would have wanted them out.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 11:38:18 PM »
You had filings in your wisdom teeth?!

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:14:10 AM »
Yes, both uppers had fillings on the back side from nocturnal reflux. One had to be redone already but had been stable for a few years. The one on the bottom had a cavity on top. That's a good reason to remove them, right? I could have gotten crowns though.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 01:07:31 PM »
TBH, never heard of anyone fixing wisdom teeth.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 01:15:03 PM »
Surgeon confirmed, recommendation to remove was simply because they cause problems. My mom says she pondered removing them, no different than my tonsils/adenoids, so I shouldn't feel bad. Still... I should have spoken up since I've grown up used to them. Idk, I was very attached to them and given the reason, it could have been done at any time. My mandible is thick and they weren't impacted so it didn't need to be done pre-op. Anyway, if you're curious, there was a considerable amount of decay on them but not enough to affect the vitality of the teeth. One cavity had to be refilled once, the others were stable for 10 years. Knowing this, I would have shopped around until I could find someone to crown them. I'm gonna have a really big space back there post-op, enough for 1.5 molars! Coping is the only option now. #surgeryregrets

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 03:07:26 PM »
I kept mine. They weren't a problem during surgery.

ForeverDet

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 07:30:15 PM »
Does this include the space on each side between molars created by orthodontics pre-surgery? As I recall pretty much everyone has that and the space closes itself slowly over time after braces are removed. I don't think I ever asked my doctors about that so maybe someone else knows sure.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 12:33:20 AM »
I thought these days wisdom teeth are removed during jaws surgery and only if they cause access problems?

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 08:16:47 AM »
That's what I thought too. But it appears not to be the case. Surgeons still hate them and just want them out. That's why I'm so pissed that he told me I didn't really need them out.