Author Topic: Discoloured teeth after LF1  (Read 3985 times)

PloskoPlus

Discoloured teeth after LF1
« on: August 29, 2015, 11:45:33 PM »
Some of my posterior maxillary teeth look really off-coloured.  I don't remember them being this bad before braces/surgery.  I put this down to braces, but I'm no longer so sure. Whitening them seems to have only a temporary effect.   

I think I would have been told by my surgeon if any of my roots died.  I had X-rays done by my dentist 7 months post op.  Surely he would have said something as well.  Another surgeon told me that the roots of my teeth are very long... I wonder whether even if the roots may not die due to LF1, but still be traumatised enough to lose their colour.

chinnychinchin

Re: Discoloured teeth after LF1
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:50:19 AM »
My surgeon warned me that this could happen but supposedly it's not a big deal. A dentist has to just go in and bleach the tooth.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 01:43:32 AM »
Sounds like the tooth died and needs endodontic treatment. It's not a big deal but after LF1, we're at increased risk for the rest of our lives.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 02:00:37 AM »
Sounds like the tooth died and needs endodontic treatment. It's not a big deal but after LF1, we're at increased risk for the rest of our lives.

Surely my dentist would have noticed this?
How can I tell for sure?  I have central incisor with a root canal and it looks really different to the other teeth on the DICOM.  The other teeth look like each other.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:40:01 AM »
Surely my dentist would have noticed this?
How can I tell for sure?  I have central incisor with a root canal and it looks really different to the other teeth on the DICOM.  The other teeth look like each other.

can you feel the teeth or are they numb? if you can push your tongue against the teeth (teeth have feeling) do the teeth feel? If not they're probably dead. It is a big f**king deal.

Tom2

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 08:43:58 AM »
My numb teeth look fine (5 months post op).

My root canel-ed tooth looks discolored but that happened over time.  It'll have to be capped to look right again.

I'd be checking into that discoloring.....

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:02:30 PM »
My numb teeth look fine (5 months post op).

My root canel-ed tooth looks discolored but that happened over time.  It'll have to be capped to look right again.

I'd be checking into that discoloring.....
My root canal tooth looks fine.

Tom2

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 05:50:18 PM »
More proof that we're all different and how we experience these procedures varies....

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 06:11:25 PM »
can you feel the teeth or are they numb? if you can push your tongue against the teeth (teeth have feeling) do the teeth feel? If not they're probably dead. It is a big f**king deal.
I feel them when I tap them. But my teeth feel weird in general - stiff and tight.
BTW, according to an article I read, it is possible for the teeth to remain vital after Lf1 AND discolour nonetheless.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 11:14:28 PM »
That explains why I've got one blackish molar pre-surgery. The enamel is totally gone. The interdental cuts only impact segmental LeForts. Disruption of the blood supply is inherent to LF1, even more so with segmental LFs. I think people make too much of it though. Just crown it and you'll be fine.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 02:07:20 AM »
I think you need to pinpoint when the discoloration happened.  I have read that orthodontics can cause discoloration via nerve damage or disruption of blood supply depending on how much force was used.  And that LF I's can cause it if the surgeon does not make the cut at least 5-6mm from the root apices or if the pre-surgery orthodontics were not done correctly to move the roots to avoid damage from the osteotomy cuts.  And, of course,  abrasion of the enamel can cause it. 

Does it look gray like pulp necrosis or pink like internal resorption or yellow like stain?

The osteotomy does look well above the roots (I can't say how much, though).  The discolouration is more like staining.  What makes me feel uncomfortable is that while the bottom teeth also have a crappy colour, they are different to the top teeth.  The bottom teeth were in braces longer as well (20 months vs 13 months).

It's probably all in my head.  I've had X-rays taken by a dentist 7 months post-op.  Surely, he would've said something.

needadvancement

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 06:08:42 AM »
Mine have started to stain too. I blame myself though because I did have days where I ate too many sugar filled snacks. They clearly say that you shouldn't be eating that type of stuff when you have braces, not that it's the case for you guys too though but it's important to remember.