Author Topic: Transverse expansion w/3-piece LeFort?  (Read 654 times)

molestrip

• Private
Transverse expansion w/3-piece LeFort?
« on: September 16, 2015, 03:28:23 PM »
How does transverse expansion work with 3-piece LeFort? It looks like the cut is off to the side, not down the suture. Does that mean the expansion would be asymmetric? Or is it only used when there's an existing asymmetry to be corrected? Or is that what a 4-piece is for? Or are these pictures wrong and the osteotomy is through the suture?

molestrip

• Private
Re: Transverse expansion w/3-piece LeFort?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 01:23:01 PM »
I don't know about this link but in principle I don't see why a midline osteotomy couldn't be done just as it is for SARPE. Maybe the suture needs to have a fibrous union too? Or maybe a few mm deviation isn't noticeable or maybe it's only done when there's an existing asymmetry that can be corrected. Seems like it would create a unilateral crossbite otherwise. It's a shame that no one knows the answer to this but I think this is one of those things that for the moment would be ok to say that if it were a problem probably someone would have mentioned it by now.

At least I've finally found a video showing what a 3-piece looks like, on the A/G website under technology. I've always wondered why they don't do 1-piece for open bites and I know the answer now: this is the only way to prevent those ridges I mentioned. There might still be small ones but if you rotate the front segment down than the rear segments also need to be rotated down so that the planes match up. Pretty cool stuff! Sadly, they don't show the midline osteotomy in this video to answer this question.