Author Topic: Revision zygomatic osteotomy: anyone?  (Read 29037 times)

hellohello

Revision zygomatic osteotomy: anyone?
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:53:08 PM »
I had a zygomatic osteotomy. The surgical procedure was invasive; the swelling was around for the longest of time and socially isolating, yet the augmentation underwhelming. I'm not sure if I'd want to undergo another zygomatic osteotomy since I would not want to be shut off from friends for such a long time again and the first zygomatic osteotomy was expensive. But the result is really not what was anticipated and I'm unhappy  :(.

Did anyone get a zygomatic osteotomy revision? If so, was the revision as invasive as the original surgery? Did it pose additional risks? I'm worried a revision might bring extra risks. Perhaps breaking the bone twice makes it more prone to break/fracture, or might cause additional bone absorption.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:08:25 PM by hellohello »

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: Revision zygomatic osteotomy: anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 11:42:56 PM »
I had a zygomatic osteotomy. The surgical procedure was invasive; the swelling was around for the longest of time and socially isolating, yet the augmentation underwhelming. I'm not sure if I'd want to undergo another zygomatic osteotomy since I would not want to be shut off from friends for such a long time again and the first zygomatic osteotomy was expensive. But the result is really not what was anticipated and I'm unhappy  :(.

Did anyone get a zygomatic osteotomy revision? If so, was the revision as invasive as the original surgery? Did it pose additional risks? I'm worried a revision might bring extra risks. Perhaps breaking the bone twice makes it more prone to break/fracture, or might cause additional bone absorption.

Can't answer your question but look into lymphatic drainage. Apparently it helps a lot with swelling.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Rico

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 04:22:27 AM »
lymphatic drainage is just simple massage ?  of course made by professionalist ?

hellohello

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 11:45:54 AM »
Can't answer your question but look into lymphatic drainage. Apparently it helps a lot with swelling.

Thanks Optimistic, will look into that. Might I opt for revision it might be helpful.

Rico

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 12:05:41 PM »
hellohello: Could you tell me how you chose your surgeon ? Does he has a lot of good opinions ? have you seen examples of his work, or even have you talked to some of his patient ? 

hellohello

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »
Thanks Facenit. I'm sorry but who is "MM"?
 I will look into Triaca too, thanks.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:08:20 PM by hellohello »

hellohello

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 12:52:59 PM »
MM = Maurice Mommaerts.  I personally have only seen one of his patients results.  That patient is a forum member here that I skyped with that did not get the result he had hoped for.

ZO's seem to be tricky.  In other threads, it has been mentioned that how happy you are with your result may depend on the bone structure you start with as they are simply moving that bone to increase lateral projection.

Thanks, FaceNit.

Zygomatic osteotomy does seem to be tricky. However the discrepancy between what was anticipated preoperatively and what I now have, is what surprises me.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:34:09 PM by hellohello »

ncharm

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 06:08:57 AM »
Can you perhaps be a bit more specific about what you were expecting and what you ended up with?

hellohello

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »
I had the zygomatic sandwich osteotomy to get decent augmentation of the zygomatic bone.

There is augmentation, however it is low: far away from the orbit at the lower cheek. So ultimately the procedure gave some fullness of the lower cheeks, and that is certainly not what was anticipated.
I do realize the cut through the bone is made away from the orbit and that you can't expect augmentation of the orbit with the sandwich osteotomy (and I did not need augmentation of the orbital rim). However, I did not realize the sandwich osteotomy would give the aesthetic result of having some fullness at the lower cheeks.

I read some posts elsewhere on the forum: in these posts it was said that if you have low cheekbones naturally, this procedure won't miraculously give you high cheekbones. I do comprehend. However scans show I have a small zygomatic bone, so I would expect that not to be the issue.
I feel the culprit is that the cut is made so far away from the orbit, that there is no possible way to get that high projected cheekbone. I asked in anticipation of surgery where the augmentation would be laterally from the canthus. I was told 1 cm away from the canthus. But there is no augmentation 1 cm laterally from the canthus or 1 cm below the canthus: there is no augmention 2 cm laterally from the canthus either, neither 2cm below the canthus. There is augmentation somewhere below that: on the lower cheek. So the procedure gives fullness on the lower cheek, but not what could be considered high cheekbones. As mentioned: this is not what was anticipated.

I emailed a plastic/maxillofacial surgeon with pictures and he said it is the nature of the zygomatic sandwich osteotomy and the cuts made for this procedure. That is what I think too in hindsight. I just wish I had known this before.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:36:53 PM by hellohello »

skippy

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 04:38:21 PM »
is this the type of cut you got (A)?

hellohello

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 04:41:13 PM »
The cut Dr. Zarrinbal showed me before surgery was certainly not like A. It was in between A and B (the position of the nerve is reason he doesn't get too close to the orbital rim in general).

Judging where the current augmentation is, it appears to me that the cut was made like line B however.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:03:08 PM by hellohello »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 06:34:27 PM »
PSs seem like a scummy (and scammy) lot in general.  This isn't slander - they prove this everyday on real self.

Bobbit

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 07:18:58 PM »
PSs seem like a scummy (and scammy) lot in general.  This isn't slander - they prove this everyday on real self.

Plosko,

Some observations about that comment:

1) Unless I am mistaken, this was a max/fac surgery, not done by a plastic surgeon.  (Right ?)   Most max/facs are not plastic surgeons.   Very very few jaw surgeons are also actually board certified plastic surgeons.

2) Almost all doctors, lawyers, accountants, and other professionals are reluctant to directly criticize the earlier work of others- -  for the simple reason that such criticism often ends up causing them to be involved as a witness in a malpractice case.

3) The good ones will tell patients (or clients)  when they have suffered a legitimate significant adverse outcome as a result of earlier sub-standard care.   

I just counted up.   I think over the last 10 years, I am personally acquainted with the work and reputation of six different plastic surgeons.  All of them are good and good at what they do.  Regardless of what you may see on TV reality shows, none of the ones I know deserve the general characterization you put forth.

However,  in my experience, it is normally true of almost any profession in any community that if you could eliminate the work of about 10 % of those individuals - -  you would eliminate about 90% of the problems in that professional category.

hellohello

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 08:23:26 PM »
PloskoPlus is replying to Facenit's comments about plastic surgeons (commenting at www.realself.com) and certainly not referring to the surgeon that performed my surgery (that indeed is a maxillofacial surgeon), it appears, Bobbit.

Thanks Facenit for the comprehensive reply. I will want to reply to it, but not a lot of time currently.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 09:14:53 PM »
I was referring to the multitude of PSs advising obviously recessed people on real self to get rhino and chin implants.  This makes them either fools or liars. Neither reflects well on the industry.