Author Topic: How to avoid looking like a chimp after Lefort1?  (Read 12342 times)

boyo

How to avoid looking like a chimp after Lefort1?
« on: October 06, 2015, 12:16:03 AM »
I'm having my jaws broken and repositioned soon, my surgeon says my profile is recessed but have warned me i may end up with the dreaded "chimp-look" after my upper jaw is moved forward.

this is what i'm talking about:

doesn't Lefort1 also destroy your 3/4th contouring and changes the philtrum shape?

Anteface is superior but looking like a ape and ruining your upper facial angularity is not preferable

any advice??

PloskoPlus

Re: How to avoid looking like a chimp after Lefort1?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 01:07:07 AM »
Have well projected infraorbital rims.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 01:07:20 AM »
I hate when surgeons "may". They do this all the time, they should be able to tell! In any case, not everyone is sensitive about it so ask for pictures. I'd be freaking out about it the past few months but now that I've seen pictures of it, eh it wouldn't bother me. As a guy at least I think it's cool. I'd be much more worried about protrusion. LF1 w/CCW advancement mitigates much of the effect of the advancement but it also depends on degrees. Typical plans I see surgeons with are only about 4mm to nasal base and 7mm at incisor tip. Soft tissue thinning brings that down to 4mm.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:09:58 AM »
I hate when surgeons "may". They do this all the time, they should be able to tell! In any case, not everyone is sensitive about it so ask for pictures. I'd be freaking out about it the past few months but now that I've seen pictures of it, eh it wouldn't bother me. As a guy at least I think it's cool. I'd be much more worried about protrusion. LF1 w/CCW advancement mitigates much of the effect of the advancement but it also depends on degrees. Typical plans I see surgeons with are only about 4mm to nasal base and 7mm at incisor tip. Soft tissue thinning brings that down to 4mm.
Yeah, the tissue there is quite squishy.  So 7 mm of bone movement does not translate to 7 mm of profile change.  Anterior nasal spine reduction should prevent the upper lip from becoming convex.

overbiter

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 03:05:23 AM »
I'm having my jaws broken and repositioned soon, my surgeon says my profile is recessed but have warned me i may end up with the dreaded "chimp-look" after my upper jaw is moved forward.

this is what i'm talking about:

doesn't Lefort1 also destroy your 3/4th contouring and changes the philtrum shape?

Anteface is superior but looking like a ape and ruining your upper facial angularity is not preferable

any advice??

This girl doesn't look bad at all. Post a before picture so we can see the change.

Many famous celebrities have forward grown maxillas. Look at Kate Mara, her jaws are even further forward than that girl you posted. I'm not saying that is aesthetic as such but it is definitely more desirable than having a recessed maxilla. Don't be too worried about sluthate/lookism theories on ape faces, that is rarely the problem with Lefort procedures. People just take a while to get used to the change.

needadvancement

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:33:00 AM »
Just my two cents here, but I think that this is caused by the upper jaw being too forward. Even I can see some 'chimpness' even though my mandible is slightly recessed, upper jaw is in a good position and my upperface slightly recessed. But when I get my low jaw or chin moved forward the look goes away. But if I got a Lefort 1 and got the upper jaw moved forward too it would not look good.

carlos30

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 05:08:44 AM »
I'm not any kind of professional, but I think that Lefort1 advancement should not be done on weak central face region, especially on particularity weak infra orbital rims.

OP, if I was you, I'd post pics and cephalogram here to get opinions. Then I'd discuss about the issue with multiple surgeons. This is not an issue to ignore, srs.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:40:29 AM by carlos30 »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 05:35:16 AM »
I'm not any kind of professional, but I think that Lefort1 advancement should not be done on weak central face region, especially on particularity weak infra orbital rims.
Alas, recessed maxillas and infraorbital rims usually go hand in hand.

needadvancement

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 07:01:27 AM »
Actually I think it would work fine if the person doesn't just have a recessed midface but also both jaws recessed. It's when a person has a forward upperjaw(or atleast compared to everything else) and everything else is recessed, that's when this chimp-look can happen. Key thing is how forward the upper jaw looks imo.

terry947

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 06:35:42 PM »
youll only look like a chimp IF you already have a flat profile, or if your orbitals are so recessed that the advancement of the jaw will make it look like a chimp. Its hard to say, since everyone has a different facial complex.

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »
Bumping this

What types of movements are more likely to cause this? CW? CCW? this is probably my biggest concern with surgery - wider nose, worse philtrum, bloated 3/4th view with less angularity

Can anything be done to avoid this?

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »
Straight maxillary advancement causes it. I'd say 3-5mm or less won't be noticeable, above that it will be to sensitive people. CCW rotation mitigates but doesn't eliminate it. Until we figure out how to lengthen the ramus at the same time and how to advance the rest of the face to match, chimp look will always be a concern. Fortunately, for all but the worst cases it's not generally a big problem.

Looking at her pics again, I think she has some maxillary deficiency and she will have bags when she's older. We all do but hers will come sooner. That's generally the case with most jaw surgery patients though but all to different degrees.