Author Topic: Can Long Midfaces Be Beautiful?  (Read 17796 times)

RedLips

Can Long Midfaces Be Beautiful?
« on: October 12, 2015, 04:42:32 PM »
Hi, all. I'm new to this forum, though I've been a lurker for a while. I want to start off by saying that I'm very supportive of all of you who are pursuing jaw surgery here, but my budget and lifestyle will not accommodate any plastic surgery at this time. I'm trying to come to terms with my appearance without surgery, if that's possible. I also have body dysmorphic disorder and tons of anxiety issues (so please be sensitive/patient with me here, if possible.)

My primary concern is my long midface. (I also have a slightly retruded chin and a gummy smile, but the midface is my biggest issues.)

I guess I want this post to be about proving (mostly to myself) that long faces can still be beautiful. By that, I am referring to the midface ratio, particularly the distance between the eyes in relation to the distance between the eyes and mouth. The "ideal" ratio is when the interpupillary distance (distance between pupils) matches the distance between the pupil and the line where the lip splits. The "acceptable" ratio is when the distance between the eyes and lips matches the distance between the outer irises. People who don't fit either ratio are generally regarded as unattractive on a basic subconscious level. (Think Sarah Jessica Parker or Lily Tomlin.)

I fit the "acceptable" ratio in most pictures, but in some (mostly close-up selfies) I do not fit either ratio. This gives me intense anxiety. I don't fit the Marquardt beauty mask either. But can I still have a pretty enough face? I don't think I'm hideous. But are my measurements still acceptable?

Here are some famous people (who are generally deemed beautiful, or at least attractive enough) who fit only the acceptable and not the ideal ratios:
- Gisele Bundchen
- Liv Tyler
- Bella Hadid
- Dichen Lachman
- Elize Ryd (Swedish popstar)
- Kat von D
- Ashley Tisdale
- Kate Beckinsale
- Jen Selter (Instagram fitness star)
- Celine Dion
- Lady Gaga

People who generally don't fit either ratio at all:

- Sandra Oh
- Sarah Jessica Parker
- Lily Tomlin
- Courtney Lundquist (Actually, she fits SOMETIMES, kind of like me. And I find her to be super gorgeous.)

Thoughts? Can long midfaces still be very pretty? Could it be possible that I'm attractive too even though I don't meet the ratios?

notrain

• Private
Re: Can Long Midfaces Be Beautiful?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »
You can't determine attractiveness by only judging one criterium - in this case the midface ratio. Other things, like soft tissue quality / features are important.

Regarding your own attractiveness, I think if you are past puberty you already know whether or not you are attractive as that is usually determinded by how members of the opposite sex relate to you.

RedLips

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 05:40:50 PM »
Well, this is me with my long midface:

http://imgur.com/AQkeg0F
http://imgur.com/esJssTs
http://imgur.com/DzqhXNX

I usually wear glasses to disguise the length.

babyface99

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 11:15:30 PM »
I know saying this won't change much because im also suffering from BDD but worrying about this isn't going to help anything and you need to find something to keep you occupied and not thinking about it.  That being said, as a man i think your face isnt long enough to be concerned and if you want more male attention start doing squats and anything you can to make your ass bigger lol

babyface99

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:20:39 PM »
A few more things: most cameras make ones face seem longer as do some mirrors and comparing your self to others on the Internet usually winds up you comparing your worst to their best.

RedLips

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 04:23:30 AM »
Thank you for your answers.

My midface looks pretty normal in pics like the one I posted, but it's long-looking in others. I'm just too scared to post them online for everyone.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
Doesn't look overly long to me. I'd say you are pretty attractive, nice features and hair (I'm whiteknighting you right now)

She has a bit of dimpling on the chin when keeping her mouth closed - that's usually indicative of LFS. But it isn't severe and I agree with you that OP looks good.
And damn, notrain I never thought about that before, brutal.. I guess that's how I ended up here.
I didn't intend to ruin anyone's day.

FWIW I can maybe sort of make up for it: Jaw surgery won't change anything about that statement.

RedLips

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 11:34:03 AM »
NoTrain, does that mean I have LFS?? How do I fix it without surgery?

RedLips

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »
What exactly is chin dimpling? Is that only in LFS patients?

I never snored or breathed through my mouth as a child, though.

RedLips

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »

RedLips

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 12:20:58 PM »
Miss J said I had slight adenoid, whatever that means.

RedLips

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 12:22:58 PM »
Wait, why is notrain's comment harsh? I mean, I get a good amount of male attention. I just hate my own face

notrain

• Private
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 12:31:20 PM »
What exactly is chin dimpling?

It means you have to flex/strain your mentalis muscle to fully close your mouth / keep it closed.

This is visible on your chin (you can see the muscle flexing/straining). It's mild though - that's probably what MissJ meant.

RedLips

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 12:38:41 PM »
How do I fix the chin dimpling?

RedLips

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 12:43:53 PM »
Now I'm obsessing about straining my chin to keep my mouth closed... Is there a way to strengthen the muscles? Are there celebs who have this and are still pretty?