Author Topic: Asymmetry after BSSO + chin wing, worth fixing?  (Read 6960 times)

baldguy83

Asymmetry after BSSO + chin wing, worth fixing?
« on: October 23, 2015, 07:17:11 AM »
As some of you might remember, a while back (3,5 months) I had a BSSO + chin wing performed by Dr. Z. I'm fairly happy with the results (especially my profile has improved tremendously), but now that the swelling has come down some more I'm starting to notice some asymmetries, especially in the lower jaw/chin area. Do you think it's worth addressing, or should I simply accept it?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 12:11:04 AM by baldguy83 »

PloskoPlus

Re: Asymmetry after BSSO + chin wing, worth fixing?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 07:25:09 AM »
As some of you might remember, a while back (3,5 months) I had a BSSO + chin wing performed by Dr. Z. I'm fairly happy with the results (especially my profile has improved tremendously), but now that the swelling has come down some more I'm starting to notice some asymmetries, especially in the lower jaw/chin area. Do you think it's worth addressing, or should I simply accept it?

Pic: http://imgur.com/E9dRXPa
I really had to look for it to notice it.  IMO, you're probably overanalysing yourself now that you've had surgery.  Pay closer attention to others - virtually everyone has some asymmetry - whether jaws, nose, ears or eyes (worst).

BTW, I don't think Z screwed up.  It's just that whenever you advance stuff, pre-existing asymmetries are magnified.  It's almost unavoidable.

baldguy83

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 07:33:49 AM »
Yeah, you're probably right. I look in the mirror way too often, I'm totally infatuated with my new profile :-P

I'm seeing Z again in two weeks, to discuss a rhinoplasty (my nose is now too big for my face). I'll see what he thinks of the asymmetries, he'll probably share your opinion.

terry947

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 10:45:29 PM »
Ya the asymmetries are so minor I Wouldn't even worry about it.

Did you posts and before and after photos of your profile?

I think I saw a frontal before pic and I must say your results look pretty solid man.

baldguy83

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 12:13:42 AM »
I posted some more pics over at MissJ's.

terry947

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 10:40:43 AM »
Ok so I had no idea what missJ was so I googled it. But seems like you need an account to view threads  but you can't register....

baldguy83

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 11:57:44 AM »
Yeah, it's a private forum. People often feel more at ease posting their pics here.

needadvancement

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 12:41:02 PM »
I do not see much of an asymmetry. I would like to see a before picture btw. Your jaw and especially chin look impressive now.

baldguy83

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 12:48:41 PM »
I've PM'ed you a link with pre-surgery shots.

needadvancement

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 12:56:45 PM »
Yes thanks, interesting results. The squareness of your chin is even more accentuated now, it's like George Clooney's. I think it's solid and I hope you're happy with it.

baldguy83

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 12:59:24 PM »
Funny thing you should mention Clooney - I just checked out his jawline/chin and notice they're both asymmetric as well: http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/080414_r17095_p646-320.jpg It's funny how little symmetry seems to matter sometimes. Ofcourse he has many other good features, but still.

Here's another slightly more extreme example: http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31000000/tyler-tyler-posey-31021343-1280-1024.jpg

sean89

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 04:04:46 PM »
Did he still use hip graft for sublabial fold?

Are you satisfied with fold and how much was advancement?

baldguy83

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 04:21:55 PM »
He used bone from the hip (got a nice scar now there) to 'fill' various bone gaps, but the sublabial fold (I assume you mean the labiomental fold?) was resolved by the BSSO. Advancedment was pretty significant, but I'm not sure how much. I'll ask next time I see him (in two weeks).

sean89

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 05:56:55 PM »
I notice the asymmetry by the way. The exact same asymmetry has occurred to another one of Zarrinbal's chin wing patients so hopefully it's not a product of carelessness. But fwih the most common way to correct it is by shaving the bone off the longer side which is best done under a general, so if you get your nose job then it can be done simultaneously. In my opinion, it's not that noticeable and I think that photographs magnify flaws especially when you smile. But I suppose it's not ideal cos it's something that your conscious of and detracts from photogeneity but if you do a video of yourself speaking, it will be harder to notice I bet because your jaw will be in motion and it's in that perspective that people perceive you in life generally.

baldguy83

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 11:17:37 PM »
Yeah, I've been in contact with another of Dr. Z.'s patients who also has an asymmetric chin, plus very asymmetric gonial angles. I guess the same person? He's seeking a revision, but Dr. Z. hasn't responded to him yet AFAIK.