Author Topic: opnions sliding genioplasty Dr Paul Johnson Guildford uk  (Read 3656 times)

Ferrata86

opnions sliding genioplasty Dr Paul Johnson Guildford uk
« on: October 26, 2015, 04:35:36 AM »
hello, i am considering having sliding genioplasty with Dr Paul Johnson in Guildford any one here had surgery with him, i would appreciate if someone could give a opinion about is work.

kind regards

SJay

Re: opnions sliding genioplasty Dr Paul Johnson Guildford uk
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 04:31:12 AM »
I've not had surgery with him, but I consulted with him back in June. I was also interested in sliding genioplasty and went to him as he is apparently the best in the UK. He seemed to know his stuff, he has a lot of experience and was very direct/honest, but I just wasn't convinced he had an eye for aesthetics. He showed me lots of results on his computer, some looked good and others not so great.  He didn't provide morphs and didn't seem to do much planning. I felt he would be a bit hit and miss. I've since consulted with a few other surgeons in the US and found a surgeon I am much more happy with. However, if you're certain you want it performed in the UK, then he's probably your best bet. Good luck!

lgiles8

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:52:49 AM »
Hi, I've had two consultations with him a year apart after being unimpressed with the other surgeons I consulted in the meantime. I have decided to get a sliding genioplasty with him in Jan. I agree to an extent with what sj594 said about his results. Some were excellent, others a definite improvement but not amazing. To be honest, I do think it has something to do with the potential of the patient as well. If the patient is more attractive to begin with then obviously they can go from looking pretty good to amazing, while if the patient doesn't have such a great starting point then the improvement doesn't look so impressive.

From my research, you will struggle to find any surgeon that has a 100% excellent result when it comes to befores and afters (as can also be seen on the online galleries of so called 'world renowned surgeons').

SJay

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:33:13 AM »
I agree, no surgeon is perfect! However, you want to minimise your likelihood of a disappointing result. Sliding genioplasty is a purely cosmetic procedure and you want a doc who knows aesthetics, and who will thoroughly asses your facial structure before deciding exactly how best to modify the width and length of the mandible. My concern with Dr Johnson is his eye for aesthetics, sure he'll advance you, but how far? Will he create a step-off, a deep mento-labial fold, will it create an imbalance with another feature? I would want to know that the surgeon has spent a couple of hours taking measurements and thinking through how the changes made will impact the whole face... it's not just about making a chin bigger, but creating a more harmonious and attractive face! Like I said, he probably is the best in the UK, but you'll almost certainly receive a higher level of service from a top doc in the US (such as A & G). Can you share pictures with us and let us know your surgical plan, that way members can give you there opinion and it may help! I don't mean to discourage you, and I really do hope you get the result you're looking for. Keep us all posted!

lgiles8

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 08:56:55 AM »
Hi, yes I do agree with your comments regarding aesthetics. From the before and after pics I saw, there were a few where a definite improvement was made but I would have liked to have seen more forward movement. I think it's a bit of a double edged sword - in one respect it's comforting to know that Mr Johnson is quite conservative and it's unlikely you'll end up with a problem, while on the other hand if you're paying quite a lot of money you want a pretty noticeable result. All of the pics I saw, as i've said, did show an improvement, but some showed more so than others.

I must say that Mr Johnson has spent a lot of time answering all of my questions via emails and letters and has actually requested that I visit him for one more appointment before the actual surgery so we can go over exact measurements/movements.

You're probably right in saying that you'll get a better service from a top US doc but travelling to the US is not really a realistic option for me. I would be happy to respond with pics etc via private messages but I don't want my pics on the internet.