Author Topic: Substantial improvement in 2 months with braces, opinions on changes please?  (Read 1512 times)

Icy

So it's been a while since my initial topic, and I wanted to share an update! I still dislike my smile but the effect of reversing the terrible camouflage orthodontics is starting to become apparent. My tooth show isn't incredible all of a sudden, but it looks dramatically better than before! Without further ado, here is the pictorial proof: not straining my mouth for these at all! I still show no gum when smiling, but the effect is visible! For those of you who have already seen my pictures, I think you will agree? I still feel surgery will improve my smile and profile a lot, but perhaps the effect will be quite subtle, given these results?

Lazlo

• Private
did you have any extractions (bicuspids) in your first round of orthodontics?

And yes, your smile is looking great.

Icy

Thank you! And thankfully no, I staunchly refused extractions when they were proposed to me as the only option to fix my bite (as a teenager) and I am so glad I stuck to my guns!!! I can't believe how retroclined my teeth were, it's honestly astonishing to me that my ortho ever could have considered that to be a satisfactory result.

did you have any extractions (bicuspids) in your first round of orthodontics?

And yes, your smile is looking great.

Icy

How did they increase your incisor show? Because mine has disappeared since 2010 ish

Honestly my incisors were and are still retroclined but not nearly as badly as before. Beginning the process of restoring my teeth to the right angles has definitely increased my tooth show overall and it's only just the beginning of my treatment. Did your ortho retract your incisors? Because mine (before this good one I'm seeing) literally just pulled all my teeth backward and inward, collapsing the support for my lips and even a bit around the cheeks apparently.

jesterofmalice

my teeth are very retroclined.
I can't quite get my head around how this is fixed with braces.
I can kind of understand how braces can tighten everything and push protruding teeth back, but how do they go about doing the reverse?
PS - your teeth look great already to me, and I can already see the improvement in comparison to  your previous pics.
cheers

Icy

My new ortho uses lingual braces and some kind of strong composite wire to push outward and move the teeth into place, I will ask her at my next appointment. I also didn't get how it could be fixed this way, but she assured me that she would be able to reverse the previous orthodontics and it seems she is keeping that promise so far. She still plans to open spaces up in my upper jaw so as to widen my peg lateral incisors and broaden my smile by about 3-4mm altogether  I think.

my teeth are very retroclined.
I can't quite get my head around how this is fixed with braces.
I can kind of understand how braces can tighten everything and push protruding teeth back, but how do they go about doing the reverse?
PS - your teeth look great already to me, and I can already see the improvement in comparison to  your previous pics.
cheers