Author Topic: Non-surgical bony movements in adults, possible...  (Read 1342 times)

molestrip

• Private
Non-surgical bony movements in adults, possible...
« on: November 16, 2015, 09:29:49 PM »
Found this interesting presentation on non-surgical advancement of adult patients. I could be wrong but from skimming it looks like bone anchorage in adults with underbites were able to advance the maxilla by an average of about 7mm in under 1.5 years. My guess is this time could be reduced with a combination of LLLP and LIPUS and maybe pharmaceuticals or hormone therapy. Note that reverse pull headgear could have been used as well, however it would be quite unpalatal to an adult to wear it 24/7 to get these results. I could see this working for palatal expansion however, the key being avoiding tooth anchorage and the associated damage that comes with it. Why am I making a special point about this? Sure, avoiding surgery is wonderful but the main benefit I see is that the growth would likely be very natural, meaning that the whole maxilla would likely move foward, all the way up to infraorbital rims and cheekbones. Same may be true for palatal expansion. Assuming you could identify the sources of growth, it may be possible then to insert multiple bone anchors and do orthopedics around them alone even, such as one in the back of the mouth and one in the front with a spring connecting them. Of similar interest would be in addressing anterior open bites, that is getting the front segment to close without a segmental LeFort.

Correction: CMV2 means kids, age 5-10 years it seems. Still interesting to me for other reasons. Interesting that he lists "long face syndrome" as a condition treated, given that it's hard to detect at this age. I wonder how many referrals he gets.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:40:37 PM by molestrip »

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
Re: Non-surgical bony movements in adults, possible...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »
Could this be used to for people with overbites and sleep apnea to pull the jaws forward?

Found this interesting presentation on non-surgical advancement of adult patients. I could be wrong but from skimming it looks like bone anchorage in adults with underbites were able to advance the maxilla by an average of about 7mm in under 1.5 years. My guess is this time could be reduced with a combination of LLLP and LIPUS and maybe pharmaceuticals or hormone therapy. Note that reverse pull headgear could have been used as well, however it would be quite unpalatal to an adult to wear it 24/7 to get these results. I could see this working for palatal expansion however, the key being avoiding tooth anchorage and the associated damage that comes with it. Why am I making a special point about this? Sure, avoiding surgery is wonderful but the main benefit I see is that the growth would likely be very natural, meaning that the whole maxilla would likely move foward, all the way up to infraorbital rims and cheekbones. Same may be true for palatal expansion. Assuming you could identify the sources of growth, it may be possible then to insert multiple bone anchors and do orthopedics around them alone even, such as one in the back of the mouth and one in the front with a spring connecting them. Of similar interest would be in addressing anterior open bites, that is getting the front segment to close without a segmental LeFort.

Correction: CMV2 means kids, age 5-10 years it seems. Still interesting to me for other reasons. Interesting that he lists "long face syndrome" as a condition treated, given that it's hard to detect at this age. I wonder how many referrals he gets.
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

molestrip

• Private
Re: Non-surgical bony movements in adults, possible...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »
See my correction but if you mean kids then yeah probably would. The hard part is the mandible, no one knows how to bring it forward. The thought is that if you advance the maxilla the mandible will follow.