Author Topic: Advice for surgeon selection after consultation  (Read 1334 times)

jawsaddict

Advice for surgeon selection after consultation
« on: November 17, 2015, 02:31:15 PM »
So I had jaw surgery planned for quite a while and already scheduled for January with a surgeon.
However the consultation was nearly a year ago and I can't even remember what exactly will be done and what she suggested.

I decided to have two further appointments to get different opinions from other surgeons.

Any idea how to handle this? How to decide which one will have the right idea and for my situation?
There are no before/after pictures available from my country and reviews are rare.

ForeverDet

Re: Advice for surgeon selection after consultation
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 05:32:02 PM »
Go to those other appointments. Get paperwork/notes about what their treatment plan is. Get another appointment with the original doc and get his treatment plan.

Compare them.

Come back and post about them here  so we can discuss and give you feedback.

Jaw surgery is a huuuuge decision and while I'm not saying you gotta decide based on what people here say, I think it will beneficial because there is a lot of knowledge/experience on this forum. Especially if it's hard to find reviews of doctors. What country are you in?

chinnychinchin

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 05:33:42 PM »
Definitely get at least 2 consultations from different surgeons. You should come out of the consultation feeling comfortable and trusting of the surgeon. Any uncertainties or uneasiness should always be addressed before fully committing. This is a serious decision and one that should be made with full confidence. Good luck!

jawsaddict

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:23:44 PM »
Alright I've been told that my midface is a bit flat, I have 'midface hypoplasia' and a LeFort1 should be performed.

Now I'm reading in this thread that LeFort1 is kinda useless in this case?
http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=570.0

JawKid7

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »
Alright I've been told that my midface is a bit flat, I have 'midface hypoplasia' and a LeFort1 should be performed.

Now I'm reading in this thread that LeFort1 is kinda useless in this case?
http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=570.0

do you have an underbite?
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

jawsaddict

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
do you have an underbite?
No, I had a crossbite but it is pretty much fixed already after a few months of braces.

JawKid7

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 04:12:42 PM »
No, I had a crossbite but it is pretty much fixed already after a few months of braces.
lefort 1 is not useless I had a flat midface before and I had lefort 1 nearly 2 months ago. People are saying my eyes and cheekbones looks better thats how much of a difference it made
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015