Author Topic: Dr. Schendel?  (Read 6186 times)

C4lifornian

Dr. Schendel?
« on: December 02, 2015, 12:41:30 AM »
Hi all,

First time poster here and just wanted some insight. I am planning on consulting with Dr. Schendel soon regarding jaw surgery and perhaps a genioplasty too. Due to proximity, he would be my ideal choice. I have read on here that there were issues with the orthodontist he used back when he was practicing in Pacific Palisades. He is now practicing in Palo Alto, so I would assume he has changed orthodontists.

I also read that one user said his work was "sloppy." Any reason in particular? I'm looking for the most dramatic results I can get and I know some surgeons can be too conservative with the amount of added projection. I have read on here that Arnett and Gunson are good too, but are probably too far for me. If anyone could give me some more info about Schendel, or share their experience with him outside of a consult (i.e. results wise), that would be great.

Thanks.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Dr. Schendel?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 11:47:05 AM »
Hi all,

First time poster here and just wanted some insight. I am planning on consulting with Dr. Schendel soon regarding jaw surgery and perhaps a genioplasty too. Due to proximity, he would be my ideal choice. I have read on here that there were issues with the orthodontist he used back when he was practicing in Pacific Palisades. He is now practicing in Palo Alto, so I would assume he has changed orthodontists.

I also read that one user said his work was "sloppy." Any reason in particular? I'm looking for the most dramatic results I can get and I know some surgeons can be too conservative with the amount of added projection. I have read on here that Arnett and Gunson are good too, but are probably too far for me. If anyone could give me some more info about Schendel, or share their experience with him outside of a consult (i.e. results wise), that would be great.

Thanks.

He practices both in Paolo Alto and Pacific Palisades. Or has he left the latter practice altogether?

C4lifornian

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »
He practices both in Paolo Alto and Pacific Palisades. Or has he left the latter practice altogether?

I believe he has left. He has his own practice in Palo Alto (not at Stanford) for sleep apnea, general jaw surgery and plastic surgery. He's not listed as a doctor at the old place (FaceCenterLA). He seems to have been replaced by Dr. Dorfman.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 03:48:30 PM »
You really owe it to yourself to consult with Arnett/Gunson. Consider yourself lucky that you only live a few hours away from Santa Barbara. People fly from all over the world just to get access to these guys!

I live in LA and consulted with Schendel/Jacobsen first. However, I ended up going with Dr. Gunson and am EXTREMELY glad I did. Schendel/Jacobsen proposed a lower only whereas Dr. Gunson performed a lower+upper+genio (CCW rotation). Dr. Gunson's surgical plan ended up being the right choice (hindsight is 20/20). Check out my previous posts if you want to read more about my experience.

And if you're worried about the drive, take the train. It's pretty convenient and saves you from having to navigate the rush hour traffic. You will however have to stay there at least 1 week post-op.

C4lifornian

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 02:16:18 AM »
You really owe it to yourself to consult with Arnett/Gunson. Consider yourself lucky that you only live a few hours away from Santa Barbara. People fly from all over the world just to get access to these guys!

I live in LA and consulted with Schendel/Jacobsen first. However, I ended up going with Dr. Gunson and am EXTREMELY glad I did. Schendel/Jacobsen proposed a lower only whereas Dr. Gunson performed a lower+upper+genio (CCW rotation). Dr. Gunson's surgical plan ended up being the right choice (hindsight is 20/20). Check out my previous posts if you want to read more about my experience.

And if you're worried about the drive, take the train. It's pretty convenient and saves you from having to navigate the rush hour traffic. You will however have to stay there at least 1 week post-op.

Thanks for the reply. As I understand it, they work in same practice but they perform surgery independently? If so, who is better Arnett or Gunson? I see you chose Gunson, what is the general consensus?

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 12:26:24 PM »
I would travel if I were you ;) Dr Gunson is a fine choice. There are many other good surgeons as well. Your life simply isn't worth a f**k up.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 05:13:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply. As I understand it, they work in same practice but they perform surgery independently? If so, who is better Arnett or Gunson? I see you chose Gunson, what is the general consensus?

Gunson currently does 3-4 surgeries per week vs. Arnett's 1 per week at best. Gunson is currently more in his prime while Arnett primarily focuses on lecturing and teaching these days. Gunson has great bedside manner and genuinely cares so I highly recommend him. Can't comment on Arnett though. Keep in mind that Arnett is a legend and is the master and not the apprentice in the Arnett-Gunson relationship. But I chose Gunson because not only have I never heard a bad outcome from any of his patients but he's more in his groove at the moment.

Rico

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 06:12:27 PM »
if I had money...... I would go even to Mars to undergo surgery ;)

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 11:54:35 PM »

Do they do purely cosmetic work?

I'm also unsure what experience they have on working on the orbital structure and cheek/zygo area which is what I am looking for.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 12:50:42 AM »
I don't believe so unless there is something functionally wrong. Some of Gunson's patients have gotten genio only but only because there was some underlying cause that needed to be addressed (i.e. lip incompetence). But I also haven't heard of them doing anything that involves that area of the face. The closest I've seen them get to that is using HA paste in those areas.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 09:37:01 AM »
I read a study claiming the ideal age for a surgeon is 50 and Gunson is approaching that. It's a tradeoff between experience and physical ability. Discussions abound about forced retirement for surgeons at 70. I'm not an HA paste fan for various reasons but Dr Gunson has an amazing personality to work with. That being said, if you want exactly their service but not at their price, I know one other surgeon too who provides the exact same services (medication for ICR, same HA grafts, etc). I don't know how he circumvents the patent or maybe he just don't worry about it. I also know of other surgeons who provide the same level of attention and good credentials and results at substantially less cost. It's a big world with lots of options but Dr Gunson is certainly an easy choice. But like I said, I'd opt out of HA paste augmentations.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »
I read a study claiming the ideal age for a surgeon is 50 and Gunson is approaching that. It's a tradeoff between experience and physical ability. Discussions abound about forced retirement for surgeons at 70. I'm not an HA paste fan for various reasons but Dr Gunson has an amazing personality to work with. That being said, if you want exactly their service but not at their price, I know one other surgeon too who provides the exact same services (medication for ICR, same HA grafts, etc). I don't know how he circumvents the patent or maybe he just don't worry about it. I also know of other surgeons who provide the same level of attention and good credentials and results at substantially less cost. It's a big world with lots of options but Dr Gunson is certainly an easy choice. But like I said, I'd opt out of HA paste augmentations.

Do you know of any Gunson quality surgeons in NYC???
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

chinnychinchin

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 10:09:55 PM »

Are you against HA because of the price?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 11:00:29 PM »
Are you against HA because of the price?
It's an irritant.  It can chip, crumble and cause a ton of swelling.

Bobbit

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 11:15:41 PM »

I'm not an HA paste fan for various reasons but Dr Gunson has an amazing personality to work with. That being said, if you want exactly their service but not at their price, I know one other surgeon too who provides the exact same services (medication for ICR, same HA grafts, etc). I don't know how he circumvents the patent or maybe he just don't worry about it. I also know of other surgeons who provide the same level of attention and good credentials and results at substantially less cost. It's a big world with lots of options but Dr Gunson is certainly an easy choice. But like I said, I'd opt out of HA paste augmentations.

What is the patent about  ?