Author Topic: Sliding Genioplasty Only - Bad idea?  (Read 1030 times)

swsee

Sliding Genioplasty Only - Bad idea?
« on: December 13, 2015, 12:45:04 PM »
So I am scheduled to have a sliding genioplasty soon to fix my recessed chin. I consulted with multiple max-facs and most agree the best outcome would come from Bi-Max w/ CCW rotation, but unfortunately I'm not a situation to to do that for aesthetic reasons. I have a classic Class-2 profile that was made "functional" through childhood orthodontics(no extractions). My airway on my ceph looks narrow, but two sleep studies haven't indicated OSA and I don't have issues with tiredness, etc.

You can see from the attached ceph that my upper incisors were pushed back significantly through orthodontics, leading to no upper lip support, and a log obtuse philtrum which I hate. Obviously a genioplasty won't address this, and a lip lift would only result in a gummy smile.

Anyway, just was looking for some more opinions from others. Am I going to regret not going the bi-max route? I know I won't be able to get the time off from work to recover, not to mention the 18 months of braces before surgery I've been proposed.

I know a genio won't make things perfect, and my chin will still be recessed somewhat, but I just don't want to look worse. Anything is an improvement over the current mess I have IMO. Thoughts?

[attachment deleted by admin]

PloskoPlus

Re: Sliding Genioplasty Only - Bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 01:49:41 PM »
Get CCW.  I have the same ugly convex philtrum which I hate to no end.  Genie won't fix this, only CCW.

chinnychinchin

Re: Sliding Genioplasty Only - Bad idea?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 04:35:12 PM »
I second the CCW. Your airway looks small and you most likely have or will get sleep apnea.