Author Topic: What type of functional improvements have you experienced?  (Read 1877 times)

CandyApple

What type of functional improvements have you experienced?
« on: December 13, 2015, 05:54:31 PM »
The orthodontist will say that a correct bite important.  If I have a class II bite will I gain any improvements if I only have grinding and tmj pain?  other then that I have had no issues eating/talking etc
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:38:45 PM by CandyApple »

chinnychinchin

Re: What type of functional improvements have you experienced?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 08:28:55 PM »
Airway got 4x bigger so can now breathe through nose and no longer a mouth breather, memory has improved, sleep has drastically improved, bite now fits whereas previously my molars weren't touching and my front teeth were already worn down, lips aren't strained anymore when closing. I used to wake up in the middle of the night out of breath and that's no longer the case :D I probably also prevented a whole slew of issues that I would've had in the future. If I didn't get this surgery, I would've had to go on a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea  :o :o

CandyApple

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 06:41:05 PM »
That is great Chiny,,,Wow do you mind me asking if you are young or over 40 like me.  If it weren't for the nerve damage possibility I would be all in.  I previously had a implant placed that had to be removed 3 days later because he hit my nerve so I don't want to go through anything like that again.  It is 99% healed but very scary when it was burning pain and burned to touch lip or chin

chinnychinchin

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 12:02:02 AM »
I'm 29 and the risk of nerve damage is real. I'm still numb in some areas although it's getting better slowly. Who knows if I will ever regain full sensation but if it were to remain at its current state, I would still do it again. It all depends on what you need fixed functionally and if it's worth the risk. I would gladly choose better sleep and memory over numbness any day of the week.

CandyApple

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Do you feel that your numbness is compared to that feeling when you get a filling at the dentist or is it a different type of numb that is not distracting to your daily life?  The reason I ask is because with my nerve injury I had no numbness only burning/buzzing until it decided to improve dramatically around 6 week post injury then from there it was no longer bothersome

sjf585

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 04:25:10 AM »
As for numbness, I had upper and lower jaw surgery. Upper came back pretty quick.  I’m 10 weeks post op now and I’d say 95% of my feeling is back.  My bottom lips has reduced sensation, but it isn’t numb. It got a lot better in the last 3 weeks whereas there was almost no progress before then.   :)

sjf585

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 04:26:49 AM »
Just to add to the last post.  I noticed easy biting and chewing (previously had underbite/crossbite) but in addition increased breathing through my nose, in addition to a more normal looking face

JawKid7

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 09:17:39 AM »
so far I can chew better and speak better. Unfortunately I haven't been lucky enough to experience improved nose breathing
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015