Author Topic: And the verdict is... surgery!  (Read 1569 times)

Icy

And the verdict is... surgery!
« on: January 13, 2016, 01:27:18 AM »
Hi all,

So I had my 4 month (I think) appointment with my orthodontist this morning and the verdict is in: My problems cannot be fixed with orthodontics alone. I'm not quite sure how to feel about this! I think I always knew that I would end up needing a surgical solution but I am still quite scared of surgery. 

I have another appointment booked for next week at which more x-rays will be taken (my teeth have moved extremely quickly) and the surgical plan will be worked out. I am not yet sure which surgeon she will recommend to bring in on this, but I will find out at the appointment. She did say I would be looking at double jaw surgery, and she is aware that I am very uncomfortable with the appearance of my lower jaw and my recessed upper as well, so she will take that into account. From now on she said she'll be preparing my teeth for surgery. Anyways, I will post an update and see if I can get a copy of my x-rays after the next appointment.

I've spent so long researching this it feels quite weird to finally have the support of a medical professional,  but I feel heartened for the moment that something can be done, as I've been so incredibly depressed about my appearance and jaw pain lately. I know I don't look too abnormal to other people but I really can't stand to look at myself knowing what I know. Here's hoping that something good will finally happen!

PloskoPlus

Re: And the verdict is... surgery!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 03:25:42 AM »
Try to see Johan Reyneke.

Icy

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 03:47:34 AM »
Try to see Johan Reyneke.

Thank you, I'm definitely going to make some inquiries about him asap, his practice isn't located too far from my home! :)

Icy

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 03:48:46 AM »
Great news , good luck !

Thank you! It's a bit scary but I'm really glad that she's recommending surgery, I don't think I would ever be happy with just an orthodontic patch job. Have you had much progress lately?

Icy

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 06:56:25 AM »
I had full septorhino 3 weeks ish ago, really happy with it so far. Been told il only need braces for 6 months or less pre surgery so thats good aswell. I'm going to get it done, probably, maybe... its just a matter of where, when and how (which surgeon between 2 Ive seen and how Im going to get the remaining cash together)

Are you having sarpe or anything?

That's great to hear, I hope it goes well for you! I don't believe I am a candidate for sarpe since my lower jaw is so incredibly narrow. I'll find out exactly what the plan will be at my next appointment. Hold thumbs for me!

griffin616

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 01:47:46 PM »
Hey, good luck! Hope all goes well for you.  :)