Author Topic: How long will swelling last? (for Lefort I BSSO)  (Read 4387 times)

Yonechan

How long will swelling last? (for Lefort I BSSO)
« on: January 27, 2016, 09:03:16 PM »
Hi everyone
My condition (before surgery) was Class 3 Skeletal Maloclusion with maxillary hypoplasia and mandibular prognatism. Post surgery xray stated that " Advancement of maxilla with setback of mandible and genioplasty was done. "
Basically, lefort I and BSSO is done. My question is: how long will swelling last?
I am on day 59 (around there) and I still swell like.. squirrel? My cheek looks much much chubier than before. :(.
Thanks

chinnychinchin

Re: How long will swelling last? (for Lefort I BSSO)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:58:46 PM »
I'm 6 months and still swollen. Same procedure as you.

kjohnt

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 01:20:21 AM »
Do you guys work out at all or do anything to get the blood flowing daily?  Maybe I'm just a skeptic tonight but visible swelling after six months doesn't sound normal to me from all of the blogs I've read through.

Yonechan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 05:15:36 AM »
I'm 6 months and still swollen. Same procedure as you.
wow that is pretty worrying. btw, I saw your pic in other thread and tbh you don't look like swollen at all. but I know only we ourselves know whether we are swollen or not. But may I know how do u feel? what does the doctors say? (doctors = the orthodontist and oral surgeon) What do you do during the recovery. Hope we can share to each other experience , etc. I am pretty worried abt my swelling tbh :(. It depresses me the most. Heck I don't mind not eating at all (i drink all the way until one week ago the doctor give me green light to eat) rather than the swell (depresses me the most.)

Thanks  :)

Do you guys work out at all or do anything to get the blood flowing daily?  Maybe I'm just a skeptic tonight but visible swelling after six months doesn't sound normal to me from all of the blogs I've read through.

I'm not sure but I am walking and cycling pretty frequently. I wonder if those counts. I am on day 49 actually (not day 59) buT the doctor says most swelling should go down by day 30 :(. So yeah.. worried. Really worried. How about you?
How long did you swell?

Btw, thanks a lot to you two guys for the replies!!  :)

Rico

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 05:34:29 AM »
i have less swelling when I do sports... like running. I believe sport also helps with nerve regeneration.

TMKA

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 06:32:34 AM »
I had double jaw surgery plus genioplasty 11 weeks ago and most of my swelling is gone. I take a few ibuprofen daily and that seems to help.

Rico

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 06:42:03 AM »
the biggest swelling goes off very fast ..the microswelling sustain for a few months

Yonechan

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 07:07:47 AM »
I had double jaw surgery plus genioplasty 11 weeks ago and most of my swelling is gone. I take a few ibuprofen daily and that seems to help.
Wow that is quite fast! Let's hope I will be recovering as fast as you! And I will try takIng Ibuprofen too. Btw, my lips and eyes (kind of pulled upwards (?) )  look weird when smile (but they do look okay when I don't smile) :(. I wonder whether it is related to the swelling. What is your opinion?

the biggest swelling goes off very fast ..the microswelling sustain for a few months
Hmm... not for me I guess.

Again... thx a lot everyone

Rico

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 08:23:25 AM »
microswelling = you do not see it you have it :) but it is.. believe me.. i was like you soon after surgery.. and i was surprised later

Yonechan

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 04:53:04 PM »
microswelling = you do not see it you have it :) but it is.. believe me.. i was like you soon after surgery.. and i was surprised later

Did you feel like me when you were on day 49? I saw on lots of blogs.. they dont look that swelling on day 49. Their final face form is also not far from day 49! That's scary (for me) :(

chinnychinchin

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 10:29:45 PM »

I have thick skin so swelling was expected to take its sweet time. Well I can't be the only one experiencing this, right?

chinnychinchin

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 10:47:33 PM »
wow that is pretty worrying. btw, I saw your pic in other thread and tbh you don't look like swollen at all. but I know only we ourselves know whether we are swollen or not. But may I know how do u feel? what does the doctors say? (doctors = the orthodontist and oral surgeon) What do you do during the recovery. Hope we can share to each other experience , etc. I am pretty worried abt my swelling tbh :(. It depresses me the most. Heck I don't mind not eating at all (i drink all the way until one week ago the doctor give me green light to eat) rather than the swell (depresses me the most.)

Yea we are our own worst critics. I'm doing great but still have some numbness, everything is healing nicely, but you have to be extremely patient with recovery. Just get on with life is my advice and don't stress out about how everything looks now because like most people here will say, you are still early in the healing process. Good luck :)

PloskoPlus

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 02:43:33 AM »
I have thick skin so swelling was expected to take its sweet time. Well I can't be the only one experiencing this, right?
I really think ha paste has a lot to do with your swelling.

Yonechan

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 03:14:15 AM »
Yea we are our own worst critics. I'm doing great but still have some numbness, everything is healing nicely, but you have to be extremely patient with recovery. Just get on with life is my advice and don't stress out about how everything looks now because like most people here will say, you are still early in the healing process. Good luck :)

Thanks! How do we even know we are thick skinned or thin skinned though?