Author Topic: What (if anything) do I need and what could I expect?  (Read 1912 times)

MikeBean

What (if anything) do I need and what could I expect?
« on: March 21, 2016, 02:30:48 AM »
Hope this pics are enough, I'm pretty clueless about this as it's something I tend to push out of my mind until it's time for another family picture lol. So what kind of surgery would I benefit from from a cosmetic point of view and if I didn't get any surgery are there any long term problems associated with this kind of underdeveloped jaw? And lastly what kind of improvements could I expect?

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
Re: What (if anything) do I need and what could I expect?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 03:08:46 AM »
double jaw surgery

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 04:03:31 AM »
Hope this pics are enough, I'm pretty clueless about this as it's something I tend to push out of my mind until it's time for another family picture lol. So what kind of surgery would I benefit from from a cosmetic point of view and if I didn't get any surgery are there any long term problems associated with this kind of underdeveloped jaw? And lastly what kind of improvements could I expect?

Thanks!
CCW rotation.  Get the best surgeon you can afford.

Bobbit

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:07:21 AM »
how is your bite ?   

MikeBean

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »
how is your bite ?

My bite is pretty ok but I put that down to having had braces when I was younger. I had four teeth removed in order to accommodate the rest of my teeth which were at that time very crowded and even then my orthodontist seemed to have an attitude of "that's the best you're gonna get". He did tell me that I had an underdeveloped jaw but didn't expand on that. 

Also I tend to jut my jaw forward to compensate for the recessed look which does cause aching and I also get popping in my jaw joint when I open my jaw wide.

SJay

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 09:27:30 PM »
Advancing the mandible would give a lot more balance to your profile. If your bite is correct, then you'll likely need surgery on both jaws, plus some rotation. You should start by getting a lat ceph x-ray and seeing a reputable maxillofacial surgeon. You'll likely need more ortho work before the surgery too. If you already have the lat ceph, then feel free to upload it and I'm sure there are many members on this forum who can decipher it for you. If you would like to tell us your location, I'm sure you'll receive a few recommendations of good surgeons in your area.

There are obviously other things you can do, to partially work around the issue, such as implants or a genioplasty. But, from the photos which you have posted, it doesn't seem these will be sufficient to fix the issue.

Good luck!

Tezcatli

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 10:27:22 PM »
You will probably need to

Wear braces for around 1 year to remove the compensations your dentist did in the past.
Have double jaw surgery with Lefort I(advancement and vertical shortening), BSSO(Advancement and counter clockwise rotation), genioplasty(advancement)
Keep braces for 6 more months
Wear a retainer for the rest of your life, at least for sleeping.

Improvements will be a much more aesthetic face all around, better breathing, less risk of developing sleep apnea and the associated problems(tiredness, fatigue etc)

Talk with an orthodontist or maxilofacial surgeon, you will need both to work together

MikeBean

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 01:24:28 AM »
If you would like to tell us your location, I'm sure you'll receive a few recommendations of good surgeons in your area.

I'm in the UK, I've been gathering some names and links so I think I'll make a separate post so anyone else in the UK is looking out for a surgeon. I'm still open minded but at the moment it's looking like Paul Johnson is the best in the UK, he also seems to be very aesthetically focused which is great.