Author Topic: How can i know if my insurance will cover surgery?  (Read 847 times)

Shittyface99

How can i know if my insurance will cover surgery?
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:50:13 PM »
I have a slight underbite...I haven't been to my dentist to be evaluated but will be going in the coming months. My mother won't be able to afford to pay for this surgery so having it covered by insurance is really my only hope atm, i'm only 16. Also, will things like nose reduction and sliding genioplasty be covered? I'm pretty sure I'll need at least one of those procedures done if i have surgery. Thanks.

kjohnt

Re: How can i know if my insurance will cover surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 09:39:37 PM »
Your member guidebook may mention it, or you can just call your company and speak to a rep.

Not sure where you're located but generally an orthodontist will evaluate you and refer you to a surgeon.  Your dentist likely won't be very helpful in this regard aside from referral to an appropriate ortho.

Ideally you're going to have to wait a few years to get this fixed because your jaws are not finished developing.  Fix it now and you risk further growth post-surgery that could possibly throw everything out of whack yet again.  I realize that's not what a guy your age wants to hear, but it is what it is.

Nose reduction likely won't be covered; sliding genioplasty is hit and miss from what I've read.  Be careful; your nose may be perfectly fine... just big proportionally to your jaws/chin.  Don't even think about messing with your nose until after you get everything else fixed.  You will likely find it won't be necessary at that point.

Shittyface99

Re: How can i know if my insurance will cover surgery?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 10:26:22 PM »