Author Topic: How many of you came here in hopes of trying to fix your jaw..  (Read 2732 times)

strongjawman

only to become obsessed by aesthetics?

The more I've read the posts here and learned about facial anatomy, it seems as though a multitude of procedures other than jaw osteotomies are being discussed. So I am wondering if any of you started thinking about other procedures - cheek augmentation, brow augmentation, rhinoplasty, fillers etc. - as a by product of the research/self-obsession that actually originated because of bite/ jaw problems? Or was jaw surgery always only a part of your problem.. interested to hear responses!

PloskoPlus

Re: How many of you came here in hopes of trying to fix your jaw..
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 08:03:25 PM »
It's a slippery slope.

kjohnt

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 11:57:51 PM »
Not me, though I might if I felt I had issues in other areas.  My mindset is that changes to the boney tissue are the best bang for your buck, and my personal issues are with my jaws.  Fillers, injections, implants, skin tightening... I wouldn't want to go down that road.  Maybe when I hit a midlife crisis or something.

thinkingme

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:21:30 AM »
I came here for only jaw and still i want only fix jaw.

needadvancement

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 05:17:06 AM »
I find it interesting to read sometimes but I have no desire at all to even consider it for myself. My insecurities have always been located at the teeth and chin areas. I'm lucky enough to where the rest of my face looks normal, and that if I correct those deformities(already fixed my teeth) I will get a satisfying improvement.

The rest is simply not worth it, this is all about fixing what is clearly wrong and not about trying to improve something that doesn't need the risky improvement.

If the surgery goes to plan soon and I'm happy I'll probably only stick around because I have started to know about some of the members' plans here and I'm curious to see how their journey goes once they finally get to the finish line as well.

ditterbo

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 07:29:15 PM »
I'm a strange breed on this forum, I think.  I never saw or experienced any real 'jaw issue' since getting camaflouge orthodontics, and most recently, a rhinoplasty and a severely botched chin implant from a doc that doesn't revise his own implants.  I still don't really like my face, but I still don't really see jaw surgery as cosmetic surgery unless you've got an alien face.  If I didn't visit Dr. Posnick (naively thinking he would just help me remove the implant), I would've revised the implant elsewhere and probably would have considered jaw angle implants years later.  I wouldn't have really seriously considered jaw surgery as an option, as no other max facs thought I needed it.

Unless Dr. Gunson makes a sales pitch I can't refuse, in July, I'll probably leave well enough alone and just look into fixing the possible nerve/muscle damage to my center lower lip caused by the first chin implant.  I just had that implant replaced last week (couldn't take it any longer) with an XL anatomical chin implant, so no more annoying wings and so far no complications (just the preexisting center lip not pulling down, probably a mentalis muscle/nerve issue)   
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:37:56 PM by ditterbo »

strongjawman

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 07:41:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, interesting to listen to the different perspectives and starting points.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 08:06:04 PM »
Deformities often come in a package. I had a recessed maxilla. My upper midface, zygomas are still recessed.  I visited a couple of max fac patriarchs, who can advance the latter only to find out that while my bite is perfect, technically my lower jaw is now recessed. So I'm looking at revision jaw surgery possibly followed by upper midface work later. The massive nerve damage from my first jaw surgery appears to have been for nothing.

kjohnt

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 02:11:09 PM »
Please apologize my naive stupid question but how can your jaw be recessed if your bite is perfect? Did they find out what causes the pain?
I am not sure it is really the nerves but overcorrection in my case while my family says I look perfect. I would like to move the jaw back maybe 2mm just to get rid of the tight gums I am experiencing.

But I have to say, it has become a bit better the last weeks and I am hoping for more improvement.

Both maxillary and mandible can be recessive, or one can but the teeth compensate for the discrepancy, i.e. incisors can be tilted from ideal arch positions. 

Orthodontics often mask jaw discrepancies by tilting incisors, e.g. to mask a class II jaw relationship, procline lower incisors and retrocline uppers to close the overjet.  The result is a class I occlusion while the class II jaw relationship remains.

marcus3415

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »
Actually laughed out loud at this post because that was exactly the case. Except I found this forum after I had surgery...