Author Topic: Whats the differece between hydroxypatite made from coral vs bovine bone  (Read 1364 times)

earl25

Whats the difference between hydroxyapatite made from coral vs bovine bone

Lazlo

• Private
I want to get the same augmentation to brow and cheekbone. Dr. Sinn is still doing my op. Was delayed due to his operation. But I'm seeing him in May for the full visualization (of lower jaw) and operation in june.

Which doctor would you get the augmentation done if you decide to go with HA paste? You're a perfectionist like me, so will you use Dr. Sinn? Or someone else? Hope you are well.

Rico

Earl takin occasion. I would like to ask You, did you notice some soft tissue problems after your whole midface was moved some mm forward ?

for example my right zygomatic bone was moved around 5mm outward (too much) and 2mm forward... and when I open my mouth I see like soft tissue between zygma and border of the jaw try to behave like I had previous bone position. In some areas too much fat / skin in others to little. 
I think the most critical for soft tissue is when a bone is set in 3 dimensions.   Just moving in one for example forward is much more predictible and safe....

PloskoPlus

The skin up there is thin and stretches. This can be good or bad.

molestrip

• Private
Bovine bone is real bone, that the body will eventually consume and replace granted it will take up to 7 years for that to happen. It also makes great broth. There is a possibility of an immune response to proteins in the bone, though they try to remove soft tissue and I think it's rare.

HA is a mineral found in large quantities in bone. The blocks are biocompatible and osteoconductive so bone grows through it. It is, however, not bone and will never be replaced by bone. The difference may seem small but remember that the facial skeleton changes slowly as we age and there's no way to predict how it will change with it. That is, it won't change but it's unclear how much of a problem it'll be. Foreign body reactions are possible with HA too, unclear if it happens.

Lazlo

• Private
Bovine bone is real bone, that the body will eventually consume and replace granted it will take up to 7 years for that to happen. It also makes great broth. There is a possibility of an immune response to proteins in the bone, though they try to remove soft tissue and I think it's rare.

HA is a mineral found in large quantities in bone. The blocks are biocompatible and osteoconductive so bone grows through it. It is, however, not bone and will never be replaced by bone. The difference may seem small but remember that the facial skeleton changes slowly as we age and there's no way to predict how it will change with it. That is, it won't change but it's unclear how much of a problem it'll be. Foreign body reactions are possible with HA too, unclear if it happens.

so do you mean bovine bone is better than HA if the goal is for your body to replace it with real bone? thanks.

molestrip

• Private
Yes, I think bovine bone is better than HA but there's a greater chance of rejection. Personally I would opt for cadaver bone, preferably demineralized bone. A block of putty preparation is what you'd want. Even though it'll turn into real bone, it's still no guarantee that it'll look good throughout life and it's also irreversible. I'd try for resorbable fixation if possible. Someone visit Dr Genecov and report back to us what he thinks about this. I'm no surgeon, of course, he's tried it and seen the results himself.