Author Topic: Should i go for the corrective jaw surgery?  (Read 2463 times)

Daebak

Should i go for the corrective jaw surgery?
« on: May 01, 2016, 02:00:53 AM »
im 25 this year and my teeth are naturally straight.
what i am suffering from is prognathism, Basically my bite is normal but my lower jaw is protruding , causing what looks like a full lips and protruding mouth, my chin is also not obvious as my lower jaw is overgrown. my lower lips to my chin can be described as one straight slanted line instead of the curves a chin would have. my face is also long. as well as asymmetry.

looking at the mirror everyday, i am constantly reminding myself of why i should go for the surgery. since i was the age of 12 , i hate the way my lips are so protruded and i always try to cover it up by biting my lips. friends or strangers of course would notice it and its has been my "trademark". i then decided i would go for surgery to fix this. long story short, i thought it was just the lips but turns out to be my bone. i undergo a lip reduction surgery but the doctor refunded me half of my money after (maybe out of sympathy) and told me the max he could reduce is up to a few mm of my lip. what i am left with is still the same old me looking to get rid of this problem.

i have no problem eating , just that occasionally when i eat, the muscles of the bottom jaw would be sore and tight. when i yawn , a loud cracking side at the side can be heard. saliva just drool of my mouth on its own sometimes ,since my mouth is always hanging abit open.

i have been saving up for a year now , i delayed a year of university for this .
initially i wanted this so bad but now getting nearer to the appointment date, i am hesitating again that if it is worth all the effort and money?
i know if i dont get this , i may regret later on in my life but if i do , the braces seems more of troublesome since i have straight teeth.
and i am already 25 , too old for this since young adult social life are important and i am already gone thru half of my youth...

The doctor told me i would have to undergo a double jaw surgery by extracting 4 of my premolars , pushing my lower jaw backwards.and stats that this is actually a 50% corrective surgery instead of plastic surgery. i have read from the other posts in forums that lower lip and chin numbness are the potential risks.

i might be doing this for cosmetic reasons but i cant make up my mind and losing sleep and appetite over this. do you all think i should go for it?

sorry for the long story!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:20:32 AM by Daebak »

kjohnt

Re: Should i go for the corrective jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:14:50 PM »
i have been saving up for a year now , i delayed a year of university for this...
i know if i dont get this , i may regret later on in my life but if i do...

You've already made up your mind.  You are feeling a combination of shame for wanting to do something cosmetic, nervousness about the invasive nature of the procedure, and reluctance for having to spend a large sum of money on it.  But you already know this is what you want.  Once you have a gameplan, get into braces, and explain to close friends and family what's up, you'll be on your way and you'll feel much better.

And 25 years old isn't s**t.  My grandpa is 82 I believe and he's concerned he's losing his hair.  There is no age when you decide you don't care about how you look.

Vic

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 03:27:05 AM »
Have you got bi-max protrusion as well? Upload some pics to get a full evaluation

thinkingme

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 03:31:01 AM »
u are already 25. maybe u are right ur youth already gone but ur mid age is going too. Its ur choice but u are losing time everysec.

Daebak

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 10:01:47 AM »
Have you got bi-max protrusion as well? Upload some pics to get a full evaluation

hi , i managed to found some recent photos

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:20:42 AM by Daebak »

Vic

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »
It looks like you'll need a genioplasty advancement and height increase and also fat transfer underneath your master muscles

Daebak

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 05:58:50 AM »
It looks like you'll need a genioplasty advancement and height increase and also fat transfer underneath your master muscles

the dentist told me that because my lower jaw was protruding it causes my chin to be seen recessed. but also said that asians to have protruding mouth to be rather common, which i think explains why i have a normal bite when you put them together?

Vic

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 06:33:54 AM »
To tell you the truth, it doesn't even look like you have an mouth protrusion at all from your profile pic

Daebak

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:32:50 AM »
To tell you the truth, it doesn't even look like you have an mouth protrusion at all from your profile pic

some pictures of me from another angle
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:20:55 AM by Daebak »

Vic

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
it's your recessed chin that makes your lips look more protruded than they actually are. A Genio will fix it

kjohnt

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »
You absolutely need a sliding genioplasty.  Anything else is speculation without seeing cephalometric radiographs.

JayJaw

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
You say you have straight teeth but I suspect they are severely proclined (flares out).

You looks to have recessed jaws and like your tongue and/or orthodontics flared both upper and lower teeth. This gives you more space in your mouth (your jaws didn't provide enough). However, when your teeth are flared forward, they support your lips in the way yours look.

I also suspect it is partly just larger lips but the way soft tissue looks is all just how the bone (including teeth) support the soft structure.

We can't tell in these pictures for sure but I think you would need double jaw surgery to advance the jaws and then use this extra space to reduce the flare on the teeth (I.e. make them sit upright) in order to "collapse" the lips inward.

Extractions would do something similar but at the expense of mouth space and such. So without jaw surgery it wouldn't advisable.