Author Topic: Supplements  (Read 1231 times)

needadvancement

Supplements
« on: May 05, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »
Just wondering about use of supplements before and after surgery, particularly calcium since it's important when the bones are healing. Anybody with experience recommend this and any advice you would like to share such as timelines etc? Thanks.

TMKA

Re: Supplements
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
Vitamin D3 5000 IU daily. This strengthens your immune system and helps prevent infections. Google "vitamin D3 and surgery" to see studies on this.

needadvancement

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 03:42:04 PM »
Vitamin D3 5000 IU daily. This strengthens your immune system and helps prevent infections. Google "vitamin D3 and surgery" to see studies on this.

I've actually already been taking that for about a year, will continue to do so. Thanks.

I'm also taking creatine(I've heard that it's better to quit around surgery time), zinc, omega 3. Will get on calcium & magnesium soon as well my surgery is in less than 4 weeks.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 03:58:51 PM »
As long it does not affect blood coagulation.

kjohnt

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 04:52:45 PM »
Yeah I'd nix the omega 3 for a few weeks either side of surgery since fish oil thins blood.  If flax oil I think it's okay.

Sassa

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 05:17:02 PM »
I've actually already been taking that for about a year, will continue to do so. Thanks.

I'm also taking creatine(I've heard that it's better to quit around surgery time), zinc, omega 3. Will get on calcium & magnesium soon as well my surgery is in less than 4 weeks.

Creatine made me lose hair. There are a few (and bad) studies that shows that DHT increases. So be careful if you're prone to hairloss.