Author Topic: If i have my insurance cover surgery costs, will i be able to choose my surgeon?  (Read 1906 times)

underbite1901

I might be having jaw surgery to fix my underbite in the near future, and if i do, I'll be using my insurance to bring down the cost a bit. Will my insurance company assign a doctor to me, or will i be able to choose? Will it be my orthodontist who chooses the doctor? If it is my ortho who does it, will they choose a doctor based on my requests? I'm very concerned about this, since I'd prefer seeing a reputable surgeon who will take my aesthetics into consideration, rather then some second rate clown who just wants to make a quick buck. Thoughts?

Vic

Why don't you the insurance company

underbite1901

Why don't you the insurance company

What?...

Bobbit

I might be having jaw surgery to fix my underbite in the near future, and if i do, I'll be using my insurance to bring down the cost a bit. Will my insurance company assign a doctor to me, or will i be able to choose? Will it be my orthodontist who chooses the doctor? If it is my ortho who does it, will they choose a doctor based on my requests? I'm very concerned about this, since I'd prefer seeing a reputable surgeon who will take my aesthetics into consideration, rather then some second rate clown who just wants to make a quick buck. Thoughts?

1) If you end up with a surgeon who is "in network" with your insurance company - -  AND - - 

2) Your surgery is "medically necessary"  under the written guidelines in your insurance policy;

Then in theory the insurance company will pay for the surgery less your deductible.

Problem:   VERY few of the best orthognathic (jaw ) surgeons are  "IN NETWORK"  with any of the insurance companies.   

WHY ?  Because the re-imbursement rate that the insurance companies will pay are so pitifully low that there are virtually no genuinely skilled surgeons who will do the surgeries for that miserable re-imbursement rate.    Some do in some specialties - - but is usually because their practice overhead and expenses are otherwise subsidized (typically by a hospital or a charitable foundation.)

[ Example:  Billings for major surgeries ( 7, 8, 10 hour surgeries) that involved jaw and other facial and cranial surgical procedures.  The total insurance re-imbursements to the surgeons are sometimes less than $100/ hour.  In other cases,  the anesthesiologist is making more / hour (with little or no overhead) than the surgeon.  Of course,  the hospital will get 8 to 12K for providing the "facility" for the surgery.  ]

So .... where does that leave you ?

Most of the "good surgeons"  that are  "out of network"  with your insurance company will work with you to some extent.   The result is that your insurance company MAY pay part or maybe all of the "hospital costs"  (operating room facility and anesthesia).   

And maybe - -  your surgeon can bill the company and recover for you a very small part of the out-of-network surgeons fee .    That may take 90 days or six months or more.

(The "out of network" payments to the surgeon are even smaller than the "in network" reimbursements.)

You may want to find an orthognathic surgeon and make sure he or she can and will work with an orthodontist that is convenient to you.

The better orthognathic surgeons can do the necessary coordination with orthodontists that work in other cities or states from their surgery practice.

If you are already working with an orthodontist - -  and you like a particular surgeon - -  ask the surgeon if he is willing to work with YOUR existing orthodontist.    THEN ask your orthodontist if he is willing to work with your preferred surgeon.

Many orthodontists will likely tell you they often or normally refer to a  particular one or two local or regional orthognathic surgeons.   Many will ask if you are financially constrained to only use one covered by your insurance  - -  or if you are able and willing to pay for a private out-of-network surgeon.   

The orthodontist may then have alternative suggestions based on the financial circumstances.   Or your orthodontist may be perfectly happy to work with the surgeon of your choice. 

Hope this helps.

PS.  Yes.   This is a very screwed up, complex, and unsustainable "system".   But it is, at present,  what it is. 

joecinq03

There are some very good high volume surgeons that are in network for major insurance companies, if you do your research. Search message boards for your general area to find some surgeon names, get some consults with orthodontists (who specialize in surgical cases) and ask for referrals. Find an insurance that has both the doctor in network and covers orthognathic surgery. If you do the work you'll find someone to treat you.

It's true that surgeons who are part of insurance networks don't make anything near what the well known docs do, but there are plenty out there who genuinely enjoy helping patients and are very skilled. Plus they still make a killing from pulling teeth and installing implants regardless.

chynee

My insurance is covering my surgery 100% (which I know is super rare), but no orthognathic surgeons were considered "in network." Since my insurance and doctors considered my surgery to be medically necessary, my insurance let me call out of network doctors, but it did prove to be complicated because a lot of surgeons weren't willing to see me. And they didn't have to since my insurance wasn't part of their network. I called close to 60 surgeons and only a handful were even willing to see me. Thankfully, I was able to pick among that handful, and I am satisfied with my choice! You will have to call your particular insurance company to hear how it works.

joecinq03

Be aware that while your insurance may cover 100% they may only cover up to what they consider to be "reasonable charges." That means that if your surgeon charges ~$20,000 for double jaw reconstruction your insurance may only pay $2000 and consider that payment in full, leaving you to be balance billed for the remaining $18,000.

chynee

Be aware that while your insurance may cover 100% they may only cover up to what they consider to be "reasonable charges." That means that if your surgeon charges ~$20,000 for double jaw reconstruction your insurance may only pay $2000 and consider that payment in full, leaving you to be balance billed for the remaining $18,000.
I appreciate your concern. That may be true for some insurances but not here. Everything has already been pre-authorized and the surgeon, insurance, and hospital have already agreed on charges. My husband is active duty military, and our insurance is covering it 100%...like I said.

LyraM45

Here is my advice on this.  My first surgery I went with who my ortho suggested.  It was an HMO and I couldn't even consult with the surgeon unless I was a part of the HMO.  So, got my braces on in May, picked up the insurance in open season, and then started seeing the surgeon down the road after.

For revision, I wanted to see a bunch of surgeons and choose the best one for my now complicated case.  So, I found the surgeon I liked best.  Picked him in Aug, was able to pick up the insurance that worked best for his office during my open season that fall, and starting in Jan was able to restart my ortho and had the best insurance for the surgeon.  I say you pick what surgeon you want, and then ask them what insurance is best for them and switch plans during open season (if the best plan is available to you with your employer).