Author Topic: Jaw surgery date set, quesiton on wafer?  (Read 1089 times)

backward lowerjaw

• Private
Jaw surgery date set, quesiton on wafer?
« on: June 18, 2016, 06:58:31 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I saw the surgeon yesterday for the consultation and the surgery has been set, I won't say with who or when just yet.

If anybody has read my previous post then you'll know my history.  I had an alf appliance about 6 years ago and completely torqued my teeth and messed up my bite completely, this caused my lower jaw to fall back.  I had jaw surgery in 2014 and this was not advance forward enough due to the incorrect position of my lower jaw. This caused a lot of tmj problems and headaches and nerve pain.  This has now been resolved with the help of the orthodontist, I thought it would never go away but she has done an amazing job.

I have been seeing the orthodontist for the past 2 years and have a bite appliance in place, my lower jaw is now in the correct position, however when the bite appliance is taken out the lower jaw will fall backwards this is because the teeth are still torqued, once the surgery is done then the teeth will be moved, we are going for the surgery first, option due to the very short roots the alf appliance caused many years ago.

It was only after the consultation there were questions I should have asked the surgeon, that skipped my mind.

My main concern is, I don't want a repeat of what happened the first time I had the surgery, he mention to position the maxilla in the correct position he will use a wafer, he said this will record the bite.  Will the wafer hold the lower jaw in the correct position during the surgery (not fall back). I'm worried if it doesn't the position of the maxilla will not be moved forward enough.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:51:02 AM by backward lowerjaw »

TMKA

Re: Jaw surgery date set, quesiton on wafer?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 04:37:39 AM »
I had a custom splint used in my surgery. It was premade by a computer somehow.  It was wired to my top jaw. After the 3rd day,  rubber bands were used to pull the lower jaw into the splint. I noticed the lower teeth didn't fit into the splint at first after the surgery, but the rubber bands pulled it into the splint and lined up my bite. I had to wear the splint for 6 weeks. It made it difficult to speak clearly and I was very glad to have it removed.

My surgery went well, in large part I think, due to the expertise of my ortho and my surgeons. I can't imagine having multiple surgeries. Sorry to hear about your experiences.