Author Topic: Implants or grafts?  (Read 2236 times)

x

• Private
Implants or grafts?
« on: April 16, 2013, 09:33:34 PM »
Which are preferable for treating deficiencies post-op? Do they have to be applied immediately or can you wait for your swelling to go down?

falcao

Re: Implants or grafts?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 01:22:35 AM »
I don't know about post-op, but I asked the same question about primary surgery. I could benefit from some chin widening at the time of my single jaw surgery, and this usually means filling in with either a graft or using an implant or other foreign material (hydroxyappatite, for example). Take a look at the link below where it explains that both implants or grafts can be used for this purpose.

https://www2.aofoundation.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/c0/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3hng7BARydDRwN3Q1dDA08XN59Qz8AAQwMDA_2CbEdFAONltfE!/?showPage=redfix&bone=CMF&segment=Orthognathic&classification=95b-Chin,+Transverse&treatment=&method=Transverse+genial+hyperplasia&implantstype=Chin+osteotomy&redfix_url=1340282167441

Now I asked a well-known surgeon and professor at a leading university this question (can PM you the name) and this is the answer I got from his staff:

"Professor X does not use foreign material implants due to high complication rates.
These complication rates include infection due to the foreign body, erosion of the surrounding tissue from the foreign body, unpredictability long term of the foreign material, hard scar capsules forming around foreign material and difficulty of removing foreign material gels and pastes.
Professor X’s  advice is to be very cautious."

I hope this helps

x

• Private
Re: Implants or grafts?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 07:58:22 AM »
I don't know about post-op, but I asked the same question about primary surgery. I could benefit from some chin widening at the time of my single jaw surgery, and this usually means filling in with either a graft or using an implant or other foreign material (hydroxyappatite, for example). Take a look at the link below where it explains that both implants or grafts can be used for this purpose.

https://www2.aofoundation.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/c0/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3hng7BARydDRwN3Q1dDA08XN59Qz8AAQwMDA_2CbEdFAONltfE!/?showPage=redfix&bone=CMF&segment=Orthognathic&classification=95b-Chin,+Transverse&treatment=&method=Transverse+genial+hyperplasia&implantstype=Chin+osteotomy&redfix_url=1340282167441

Now I asked a well-known surgeon and professor at a leading university this question (can PM you the name) and this is the answer I got from his staff:

"Professor X does not use foreign material implants due to high complication rates.
These complication rates include infection due to the foreign body, erosion of the surrounding tissue from the foreign body, unpredictability long term of the foreign material, hard scar capsules forming around foreign material and difficulty of removing foreign material gels and pastes.
Professor X’s  advice is to be very cautious."

I hope this helps

It does thanks, although neither of those options sound all that desirable

My concern is with orbital rim and cheekbone deficiencies in the wake of upper jaw advancement, and how best to treat the hallowness