Author Topic: Got my surgeons opinion by mail  (Read 1283 times)

sarzo14

Got my surgeons opinion by mail
« on: July 25, 2016, 12:10:29 PM »
I just got my surgeons opinion today and he said I have an open bite. This is news to me :O you can see form my picture that I acutally have a deep bite. It actally worries me, because in his diagnosis he wrote deep bite, but then lower in his oppinion he wrote he would try and close my open bite.
I'm also worried because when he was expalining what he would do, he said he would impact the back of my jaw more than the fronth, and that's what they do with an open bite. I would think he would have to impact my fronth more than the back??
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw2brzBw3Q0 you can see here how they do it for the open bite (more in the back than in the fronth)
Here are my pictures:

I'm going to call my othodontist and ask him some questions, bucause I will have to wait until november until I see the surgeon again. I hope the othodontist will be able to explain. Is it possible the surgeon made a mistake? Or that when I would get braces that would make me have an open bite :O
Good god what have I gotten myself into...

Rikenen

Re: Got my surgeons opinion by mail
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 02:38:40 PM »
i think you have a nice skeleton tbh  :P

Ben30

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 04:29:01 PM »
Be very careful about any impaction. Especially at the back, this is the foundation of your face. You need to consider everything carefully before doing anything.
By impacting towards the back he will be making your overbite worse your right it doesn't my sense.
Your lower incisors look like they could be tipped forward this could potentially reduce your dental overbite, deepth. Are you happy with how your lips sit? Any reduction in bite height will effect them.
There are a lot of areas that need to be considered
Ps I'm not a professional.
All the best

sarzo14

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 10:03:44 PM »
Acually I never wanted to change my bite, I like it the way it is, I just wanted to fix my gummy smile and lip incompetence. That's why impaction would acutally be a good thing, but I thought he would impact everything the same and just put it more up. I'm also gonna have lower jaw surgery to bring my jaw forward (to fix my overbite). But I'm not quite sure what's he talking about for my upper jaw.

kjohnt

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 11:57:43 PM »
I agree it seems weird he'd want to do a cw rotation.  Do yourself a favor and get another opinion or two in addition to emailing his office regarding your concerns.

Ben30

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 01:50:50 AM »
They like to level a bite which is a mistake in my opinion. Seeing the level of gum show it's obvious why an impaction is on the cards. Too me it's not so bad and since you like your bite that's is of high importance. Since your happy with your bite then it could easily be worse, but still I sympathize with you. 

sarzo14

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 03:42:25 AM »
Well I like my bite in regards I can chew without any pain. But I do clench my teeth when sleeping and it does feel a bit uncomfortable. So I'm ok with lower jaw being pulled forward -that was a surgeon's idea. And we don't have many surgeons in my country that do ortoghbatic surgery, and I want this done here since my insurance only covers this in my country.
I will contact my orthodontis which is on vacation riggt now, and he will forward my concerns to the surgeon. Fingers crossed!!

But as far as yoi saying it's not that bad, my gummy smile is 1cm, my teeth are 8mm long. So I never smile with convidence. I look awkward with my mouth always falling open. My bite could be better but I think that can be fixed with orthodontics only.

strongjawman

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 07:50:14 PM »
I'd get as many opinions from other surgeons as you can for peace of mind

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 10:32:52 PM »
That's a really nice skeleton and bite. Your overjet looks a little big to me but I would think that's fixable with orthodontia. You do have quite the gummy smile. The clenching at night makes me concerned you may have sleep apnea, get tested. The pattern of decay is also suggestive, even though the airway doesn't look too bad but I didn't take any measurements. I don't see a deep bite here, certainly not an open bite. This looks like anterior impaction to me, maybe a small advancement depending on the exact airway numbers and sleep study results. Usually due to the nature of the growth pattern the airway is small, recognizable or not, and double jaw surgery is a good idea since you're going through the trouble anyway. The wisdom teeth are cool, you can keep them if you don't touch the lower jaw. Otherwise, they have to go. They're not occluding well anyway and it's easier to flatten the curve of Spee without them. Your curve is slightly exaggerated but not too bad.