Author Topic: Infection after double jaw surgery  (Read 1469 times)

madikabi

Infection after double jaw surgery
« on: August 06, 2016, 07:53:07 AM »
Hi i had my surgery on July the 21st. My surgeon has not been very helpful in answering my questions and keeping me at ease, so hoping someone here can help.
So around my two week mark i got an infection. I all of a sudden had increased swelling on my right cheek and soon after had discharge coming out of an incision. And then some come out my nose... I know yuck  >:( :(

My question is does anyone i know a rough estimate of if you get an infection what are the chances on you having to get hardware removed.
Has anyone been through the surgery got an infection and it been a one off?
Please help its driving me nuts :(

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Infection after double jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 10:21:57 AM »
No I have not had this experience. From my understanding an infection is a serious thing but it is most serious at the one week mark and then the threat of the infection steadily tapers down after that. I was put on a antibiotic cycle for two weeks.

I for example, have been getting a yellow phlegmatic cough that started a few days ago, starting with a sore throat but I don't believe it is severe enough to infect that actual hardware or the surgical sites whatsoever, since those are clear and infection/pain/puss free. I would definitely get on a tea drink where you steep ginger (a powerful antibiotic) for 30 minutes in boiling water before you add tea and drink.

That said only your doctor can help as it would be his call about when to remove the surgical apparatus at which point I believe the entire surgery would have to be redone. I don't think we've ever faced such a case on this blog.

Bobbit

Re: Infection after double jaw surgery
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 04:48:18 PM »
Hi i had my surgery on July the 21st. My surgeon has not been very helpful in answering my questions and keeping me at ease, so hoping someone here can help.
So around my two week mark i got an infection. I all of a sudden had increased swelling on my right cheek and soon after had discharge coming out of an incision. And then some come out my nose... I know yuck  >:( :(

My question is does anyone i know a rough estimate of if you get an infection what are the chances on you having to get hardware removed.
Has anyone been through the surgery got an infection and it been a one off?
Please help its driving me nuts :(

Do you have surgical metal hardware ?    Or do you have implants ?     Or both ?