Author Topic: Currently have braces and non surgical treatment plan. Can I change this?  (Read 615 times)

jaw

I have an overbite and was given a treatment plan that involved braces only, no surgery. Its been about 5 months into my year long treatment plan however I want surgery instead. My jaw is recessed and this was mentioned before but the orthodontist didn't think I needed surgery - but I have realized I don't think I'll be happy until I fix the jaw itself.

Is there a way to change this? Do I just need to call my orthodontist and talk to him about this? Will I be incurring additional costs from the orthodontist (not surgery related) due to changing my plan?

kjohnt

He may charge a bit additional.  I think my ortho charges a pretty high base amount and then for each estimated x increment of time (maybe 6 months?) a relatively smaller amount is charged.  No changes to price if estimates are off.  But in your case, now he'd have to undo what he just did so it could potentially be 10 wasted months.  But he could be nice.  Or it could even be that the first half was just prep work and you're in the same position as you'd have been if started with the surgical route out the gate, but unlikely I'd think.

In any case, tell him you have been unsure of the entire process from the beginning and want to explore the surgical route before moving further and then ask for a referral to a reputable surgeon with whom he's worked prior.  Be your own advocate; it's your face.

Get 2+ surgeons' opinions.