Author Topic: Who is the best orthognathic surgeon? Please answer my 3 questions!  (Read 747 times)

Loneez

Who will still be practicing 4-5 years from now!

Some of you may remember my other post... I had jaw implants and a chin implant and am extremely happy with my result (my jaw before wasn't too bad before, so I think I was a good candidate for the surgery). The only unideal aspect of my jaw's appearance is a labiomental crease that's on the deeper side, but it doesn't really bother me that much.

Well I recently learned that orthognathic surgery is 100% inevitable. The jaw condyle is degenerating or something like that and will cause some pretty serious problems in the future if something is not done about it.

So I am in the beginning stages of embarking on this journey. I actually don't plan on having the surgery until about 4-5 years from now (I'll be in med school soon and can't take off). I'm also happy with my appearance and am not really eager to drastically change it again. I actually think I'll have small jaw implants placed again after the orthognathic surgery because I like them so much.

1) My first question is - can I have the jaw implants and chin implant removed the day of surgery? Or do I have to remove them a few months before? I met with a Dr. Jamali in NYC; he said it can be done the day of surgery, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

2) Who is the best orthognathic surgeon (who will be practicing 4-5 years from now) from a cosmetic standpoint? Someone who would be onboard with making drastic advancements. If I'm going to do this I'm going all out and aiming for the best aesthetic result possible. Some B&As are amazing but some are just so... lackluster.

3) How long after the orthognathic surgery can I have the implants replaced? Dr. J said when the bones fully fuse - which takes about 6-8 months... any ideas?

Thanks a lot to everyone.