Author Topic: So confused on Genioplasty vs Double Jaw surgery...  (Read 7006 times)

hmatt330

So confused on Genioplasty vs Double Jaw surgery...
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:12:39 PM »
Hello, I have been doing tons of research on both surgeries, having met up with a couple max fax docs as well.

I am basically deciding between just doing a sliding genioplasty to mask my recessed jaw or doing full-on Double Jaw surgery to completely fix the problem.

Now, I know that Ortho surgery is usually preferred, but here is my predicament:

starting school Sept 6th. Have a month off in December (ideal time for jaw surgery), and then have school, followed by summer internship, followed by going abroad, followed by finally another month off (December 2017). I would like to have SOMETHING done before then, as going abroad would be a great time to reap the rewards of these surgeries.

HOWEVER I most likely cannot do the double jaw surgery this December (perfect time), as I had already started orthodontics last December and I need to reverse some of this which would take me to at least January to do the surgery, which is already too late as the semester starts mid-Jan *SoClose*.

I can, however, do a genioplasty next week (Con- $5000), which allows me to reap the rewards this semester coming up, and then next year, as well as when I go abroad. If I ever want to do Ortho surgery, I can just reverse the genio, right?

Also, My PS wants to advance 8mm, anyone know if that's too much? Because a maxfax told me anything more than 6 can look weird.

Well, what do you think guys?

PICS

http://imgur.com/a/wzI5n (Last pic is just a hopeful morph)
http://imgur.com/a/kFDPB
http://imgur.com/a/9Hki2

ThANK YOU!!

marcus3415

Re: So confused on Genioplasty vs Double Jaw surgery...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 08:21:12 PM »
Need proper bite photos. Maybe xray

hmatt330

diculo

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 10:47:05 AM »
It would probably be best to do double jaw surgery and genioplasty at the same time.

UKMaxfac

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 11:39:12 AM »
Just get a genioplasty but make sure they downgraft it and advance it too

you need vertical facial height in the lower third

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 02:03:30 PM »
if you're bite is okay, and you don't want to go through 2 plus years in braces, you're fine for the genioplasty. You'll looke great with 8+mm of advancement. stay cool.

needadvancement

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 02:31:19 PM »
Imo you should do the genioplasty but as another poster mentioned above, add vertical height too for the best results. But you said that you can still do double jaw surgery within 4-5 months? Have you already had extractions?

hmatt330

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 07:40:14 PM »
Imo you should do the genioplasty but as another poster mentioned above, add vertical height too for the best results. But you said that you can still do double jaw surgery within 4-5 months? Have you already had extractions?

No i have not. This is just what my max fax told me. 5-6 months he said. Does not having had extractions change anything

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 11:08:40 PM »
No i have not. This is just what my max fax told me. 5-6 months he said. Does not having had extractions change anything

if that's what your max fac said it's probably true.

hmatt330

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
Anymore opinions?? Need to decide asap

marcus3415

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 10:33:20 PM »
You didn't provide a bite down frontal view making it hard.

If you have a slight overbite and no underbite than you can solve w genio or implant

hmatt330

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 12:19:42 PM »
sure, I have a Kant (?) which means it is crooked, and before orthodontics 100% of my lower teeth were covered, now it is probably 90%

Im leaning towards Jaw surgery IF i can find insurance that will cover most if not all of it AND if i can get it done this winter

TMKA

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »
If you don't get double jaw surgery, eventually you may get sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can shorten your life and affect the quality of your life. Also, it's no fun sleeping with a mask every night. You have to take your machine with you when you go on vacation, the cost of supplies for your machine, plus the unromantic nature of the machine ( it's hard to snuggle with a mask and hose on ).

kjohnt

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 04:31:29 PM »
Regarding your profile, you need to provide a lateral ceph x-ray or else all the answers you get will be nothing more than speculation.  Regarding your maxillary cant, you need LF1 to level.

hmatt330

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 10:17:54 AM »
What do yall think?