Author Topic: Best option to widen a narrow face  (Read 6331 times)

Lestat

Best option to widen a narrow face
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:40:34 AM »
I think the best options to widen a narrow face are chin wing and zso. I do not like implants, bio oss and ha is ok but medpor/silicon/gore tex imo is s**t.

Chin wing makes your lower jaw wider by basically disconnecting the lower edge and moving it forward/outwards.

ZSO makes your midface wider by moving part of the zygomatic bone outwards.

Both procedures can be repeated multiple times.

A modified lefort 3 is out of question for me. It is insane.
Fat transfer is unpredictable.

Any other suggestions?

Lestat

Re: Best option to widen a narrow face
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 04:51:22 AM »
Custom jaw implants give dramatic change.

Yeah thats true and when used properly, jaw implants (medpor/silicon) can give good results. The problem is that they can cause bone erosion (also if you attach them with titanium screws) and infections over the years. I also do not like to have a piece of "plastic" in my face.
That is why i prefer osteotomies over implants.

Vic

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 05:41:23 AM »
Yeah thats true and when used properly, jaw implants (medpor/silicon) can give good results. The problem is that they can cause bone erosion (also if you attach them with titanium screws) and infections over the years. I also do not like to have a piece of "plastic" in my face.
That is why i prefer osteotomies over implants.

Jaw implants only look good if you have thin soft tissue. If you have thick soft tissue then jaw implants will not show any shape and will just make your face look big and rounded

Lestat

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 06:11:17 AM »
Jaw implants only look good if you have thin soft tissue. If you have thick soft tissue then jaw implants will not show any shape and will just make your face look big and rounded

You can use peek then. It is hard as concrete. Harder than bone. It is similar to titanium. Completely different to medpor or silastic. The issues are the same: bone erosion and infection. Btw if you have thick soft tissue you may not notice much of a difference after one chin wing and have to repeat it.

Lestat

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 06:24:25 AM »
Always the same stupid discussion about implants. ::) Let's get back to the topic. Go for implants if you are happy then. I do not like them. >:(

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 10:20:04 AM »
I agree. i had chin wing (twice) and zso and i'm very happy with the width of my face. if only my orbital rims were a tad more projected i'd be 100% happy

ppsk

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 03:43:43 PM »
On the issue of "soft tissue" thickness

it seems to me this is always a guarded way of saying fat. I think it should go without saying that if you want a strong jawline, you should attempt to lose as much fat as possible and if you are not willing to do this then mostly any aesthetic surgery you get, be it bony procedure or implants, is going to have poor results. Theres a reason there are no chubby male models, and its got less to do with showing off their abs than it does with their facial features.

Honestly I can't imagine someone who is willing to go through the pain and considerable cost of surgery but isnt willing to diet down to a lean bodyfat level first, but people are indeed strange.

Lestat

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 05:01:29 PM »
Advice taken. Any other suggestions?

Lestat

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 05:35:08 PM »
I agree. i had chin wing (twice) and zso and i'm very happy with the width of my face. if only my orbital rims were a tad more projected i'd be 100% happy

thank you. i really appreciate your answer.

strongjawman

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 11:14:28 PM »
Looks odd ^

Lestat

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 04:31:04 AM »
Looks odd ^

I could not agree with you more. Silicon is s**t. Lets see how this guy will look in 5 years.

ditterbo

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 10:28:14 PM »
I presume maxillomandibular expansion has been killed off as a viable option?  I never see it offered but in researching max facs (Dr. Li in this case), I found a section about it on his website. Narrow jaws causing sleep apnea is his premise for this surgery though, not sure if aesthetics are highlighted anywhere.  The movement might be insignificant?  I think my case (per Gunson's airway analysis) I have a narrow jaw yet a normally wide airway, so not sure how often there even is that correlation. But my airway is cut in half by the recessed jaw. 

http://www.sleepapneasurgery.com/maxillomandibular_expansion.html

ppsk

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 10:45:58 PM »
ridiculously large implant but hes also fat

not surprising eppley has to go to such extremes to get the results these patients want, how else are you going to get jawline definition in a man with so much soft tissue? the only way other than convincing him to lose the fat (which wont happen in most cases) is a sufficiently large implant.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 11:05:09 PM »
Honestly jaw augmentation that doesn't actually move the jaws forward to me is bulls**t. Sure a chin wing or genio are fine but only if combined with actual jaw surgery for a week jaw --cause you still have a little airway and there's so much crap from the implants f**k that man. We're not about implants here.

Vic

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 10:59:25 AM »
I spoke to Dr Z about jaw implants today and he pretty much said if you get them you're f**ked