Author Topic: Chin wing without moving the chin forward  (Read 15421 times)

PloskoPlus

Re: Chin wing without moving the chin forward
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »
It seems to me that chin wings are like rhinoplasty - budget for 2.

ppsk

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 07:14:14 PM »
take a look at the procedure in this pdf http://dr-brusco.ch/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Artikel-April2014.pdf

that was done to treat asymmetry obviously, but there is no reason this couldnt be performed to widen the mandible AFAIK. And the split is so close it would almost certainly fill in with bone rather rapidly.

moon im not sure why you think bony regrowth doesn't happen, its pretty well documented, and is infact the thing that allows limb lengthening to work.

ppsk

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 10:09:33 PM »
I feel the chin wing is sometimes seen as the fantastic solution to get a great jawline here at the forum, and any suggestion that it may not be is met with criticism. I'm not sold on implants either but the chin wing has a lot of downsides that I'd like to discuss and contemplate rather than to get surgery and end up with ruined gonial angles or visible asymmetry. When someone posts about implants and gets the reply 'implants LOL' this doesn't seem like a discussion anymore about what gives the best result and about risk-benefit rewards. Rather it implies that implants are discussed with disdain, and with that some have started to automatically conclude that thus osteotomies such as the chin wing offer the ideal aesthetic solution. If you then question that, people don't want to hear it since it is the only surgical option they want to consider to improve their appearance and I've met a fair amount of criticism if I do discuss the downsides of the chin wing.

This is another chin wing result: for me I'd cringe if I would end up with this jaw angle. And I'm just not willing to take that risk without first knowing what I'm getting myself in for and discuss it.
Now this is even with a more ideal starting point for the chin wing since the chin is not moved forward. Still the gonial angle imho is ruined.

I wasn't criticizing you btw, the way you had written it sounded like you were saying the ostetomies leave permanently gaps that never fill in, which would seem impossible given it would be necessary for multiple procedures to be possible.

I agree the chin wing might be overrated. When i look at a basic diagram of the chin wing, i cant help but think "thats just a big genioplasty", its why i struggle to understand members here who say the chin wing can enhance the jaw in all planes. This just does not seem technically possible with the cut as described. Some other cut? perhaps, but then thats not a chin wing, its something else.

I'm not anti-implants but i can see why some members here are. 99% of the results that are publicly available look like s**t (there are obvious reasons for this of course that are more due to patient incompetence than they are due to implants being preternaturally bad), while at least some of the CW results bring about better looking faces. I can count on one hand the amount of good jaw implant results ive seen, and they are really good, but if there are many young men getting these surgeries and have great results, they are sure as f**k keeping it a tombstone secret.

This forum has a fair few american posters, some of you guys should really consult with eppley or yaremchuk (or even terino) and see whats what and report back here. Ive read the results in office that they cant publish online are much better, but i dont know what to believe at this point.

Lestat

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 10:27:53 PM »
MOON!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!

True, but it is not just the forward movement of the chin wing that ruins the angularity. I've seen multiple chin wings in which either the chin was not brought forward, or even brought backwards and the jaw angle was still ruined. Because even if there is no forward movement, the wing still moves downwards which of course causes a gap between the ramus and the lower mandible.

Question: and what if you move the wing ONLY SIDEWARDS? Is this even possible? Would it not improve the angularity of the jaw angle? What do you think?

This is why I don't understand that Triaca doesn't segment. Zarrinbal doesn't do it, but he seems to have quite a few results with asymmetry so perhaps asking to segment is asking for more problems. But that aside: he doesn't do it.
One member here said Triaca does segment, but Triaca said he hardly does it. So why not? Zarrinbal said because of bone absorption he does not segment. No idea what Triaca's reason is.

Do you mean bone absorption of the native bone or of the graft (f.e. hip bone)?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:46:04 PM by Lestat »

ppsk

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 10:38:31 PM »
MOON!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!

Question: and what if you move the wing ONLY SIDEWARDS? Is this even possible? Would it not improve the angularity of the jaw angle? What do you think?

Do you mean bone absorption of the native bone or of the graft (f.e. hip bone)?

Thanks.

This is what i want to know, as i could bring my face into nearly perfect balance just by WIDENING the mandible, i dont need forward projection, and any minor amount i could want could easily be achieved by a sliding genio at a later date I'm thinking.

Lestat

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 10:44:40 PM »
It is clear that hip bone, used as an onlay will resorb and that is why it should be only used as a sandwich. But is it even possible that your native bone could absorb a little bit due to a failed chin wing?

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 07:21:55 AM »
ilovethemoon, i'm willing to share a video of myself in motion to show what results i obtained via chin wing. Please contact me via pm!

Lestat

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 09:50:12 AM »
Moon!
Thank you for bringing light into the darkness!

But fact remains that if you look at the CAT scan of her results there is bone growth along the mandible (in between the wing and the lower part of the mandible) but not in the gap posteriorly at the gonial angle.

Can you please explain to me why it is not possible to fill the gap with bio oss or ha? I think this would solve the problem.

Another question: Have you seen Stupidjaws before and after photos? He had a pea-sized jaw at the beginning and look at his jaw now, after two chings (and other surgeries). Some users call him the Jawmaster! So please tell me: How do you explain his result?

mike888miller

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 06:43:29 AM »
moon et al -

great discussion, let me chime in as i have met with b, t, w and z, and have downloaded and reviewed all of the cases that are available on pubmed (granted only about 15 totoal but still).

gonial angle - dont follow you - you have to admit that the cw does REDUCE the gonial angle significantly. for example the guy on brusco's Website defenitly has a better ie flatter angle than before, we dont know if it could have been even flatter or if that was the max. in my case i am trying for an angle as flat as possible, and am seeing to Combine the flattening of the cw with some rotatoin in the bsso.

widening - wish we would discuss this more, ist actually much more important in Terms of attaction how you look from the front vs from the side, yet 80% of the pics we diccuss seem to be Profile shots. and this is where the cw has ist limitations, as admited by the doctors that perform it - and as you are 100% right to to focussed on. while we may gain some windth by bending the half circle open, we do loose length the back. You will never get a result as dramatic as that by which you insert an XL medpore implant, which can give you 14mm depending on how it is placed.

loss of length - agree fully, this is a Limitation, just read from a Girl in swiss that had a 10mm movement, and she said that now there is a gap in the back, which the doc said would Close over time.
https://www.progenica.de/forum/topic/15452-chin-wing-ohne-knochenentnahme/?#comment-178864
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:02:36 AM by mike888miller »

Lestat

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 11:20:52 AM »
Some of them have a better jaw angle (and of course better jaw line) in the after.
http://dr-brusco.ch/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Artikel-April-2011.pdf

Look at picture 3 and 4! Such a great result! Her jaw anlge and whole jaw line is a lot better now!
http://dr-brusco.ch/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Artikel-Juni-2013.pdf

The guy here has lost his jaw angle completely!
http://dr-brusco.ch/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Artikel-januar-2013.pdf

What do you guys think?

ppsk

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 08:04:52 PM »
I think we're going in circles now

its clear some CW results are quite impressive, while others are mediocre at best.

stupidjaws has spoken about mandibular shaving being "crucial", i'm not clear on this, because if you try to research mandibular body shaving you will only come across feminization protocols where they want to make the jaw less heavy and more rounded, which i imagine is the complete OPPOSITE to what most people here want  ;D

None the less SJ results are very good but he also uses fillers for that cherry on top touch. If one were to shave the mandibular body though.... could this removed bone material not be used to graft onto areas in need of augmentation, such as the gaps that would occur with a large movement?

boyo

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 09:22:50 PM »
My theory on why some get blunt gonials after only doing vertically movement (sidewing) is because of the technique used.

This is the cut we want to get (minus the anterior movement):

this is what some get instead which obviously is bad on the posterior ramus shape:

lolsrs

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2016, 11:24:14 AM »
Was lurking here again after a few months and checked if there was any new information discovered on this forum about surgery and my mind is actually blown how less information in this community exist about chin wing or implants in 2016. You are literally going in circles in a forum dedicated about jaw surgeries.

The pics of stupidjaws that are praised are not posted here on jawsurgeryforum, but on a different forum there was a user with similiar stats, 2 chin wings + fillers.
This is the "result".

http://i.imgur.com/IB3KuAh.png

You can not achieve jaw width at all with a chin wing... all it does is moving the mandible forward(fixing receeding chin) and it also appears to be wider since it is more protruding. Chin Wing also helps with the lenght of the ramus and vertical height of the lower third.

To get results like this, no amount of chin wing will give you this width of the jaw like in your "before - after" ... there is not even anything that you could compare to check if those 2 are the same person since you even hide the shoulders and frame for some reason... yeah ok.

Okay let's say this is legit for a moment, it's not the result of a chin wing alone like you said that makes it superior to implants, its mostly the fillers that did the work here since the jaw angles will be very round after the cut of the bone to move it forward and you simply can not model the bone 3d to make the jaw more angular, only the whole jawline can be moved but no way augmented in a way to achieve this angular result. Also chin wing is no wear near as accurate as custom made implants... asymmetrie is a very common problem after CW.

It's simply fillers (trial implants for a year) that gave you the jaw width and angularity and not chin wing. The chin wing improved the chin and harmony or the lower third.

About Chin Wing again, it will not give you the results you desire for male jaw asthetics, imho its more suitable and gives far better results for  females since you get round jaw angles and a more feminine ramus with a little bit more angularity and modify the chin more forward, narrow and pointy.
Let us be real here.

I am sure enough of you have examined the post-op CW 3d scans and you can clearly see what it does the the jaw angles and why it does that. It actually hurts the male jaw astetics and if you are going for a chin wing for to improve your jaw. The jaw angles will get broken and round. Its the best to get this surgery in a case where your chin needs to be a lot more forward and square.

This is what you can expect after a CW: a good natural, forward projected and square chin.

Vic

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2016, 01:06:07 PM »
It's the side wing that creates the width and gives you the sharp gonial angle. Chin Wing won't be able to give you that sharp angle because you have to move the chin forward. A side wing can move the mandible in any direction without having to slide it forward, and if you move the gonial angle directly down you can create that square look. Stupid Jaws did the chin wing first, then did the side wing after, which is why he has that square and sharp shape. Granted he also had a bit of filler there as well, but his angles were pretty good before the filler

ppsk

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2016, 11:56:03 PM »
It's the side wing that creates the width and gives you the sharp gonial angle. Chin Wing won't be able to give you that sharp angle because you have to move the chin forward. A side wing can move the mandible in any direction without having to slide it forward, and if you move the gonial angle directly down you can create that square look. Stupid Jaws did the chin wing first, then did the side wing after, which is why he has that square and sharp shape. Granted he also had a bit of filler there as well, but his angles were pretty good before the filler

Well I'm pretty much convinced I'm going to pursue CW + zso at this point

can anyone tell me how being an international patient works with Zarrinbal? Does he do skype consults or anything like that? I'd really rather not pay for a flight to germany from australia JUST to consult.