Author Topic: Would you recommend surgery based on these pictures?  (Read 1777 times)

Jawbawockeez

Would you recommend surgery based on these pictures?
« on: November 03, 2016, 10:12:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

For most of my life, I never realized I had any jaw misalignment issues. This changed about six months ago when my dentist told me I had some complexities with my bottom jaw. After a couple appointments with an orthodontist and maxillofacial surgeon, they explained that my bottom jaw is slightly misaligned to the right. I was a boxer growing up, and trauma to the face could have caused this.

Truth is my jaw misalignment never really bothered me until recently. But now that I'm aware of my jaw misalignment, I can't seem to unsee it. The most noticeable feature is my lip extends more to the right side of my face. I was told I would qualify for a double jaw surgery after about a year of Invisalign treatment. While this surgery would have structural benefits, I am doing it mostly for cosmetic reasons.

Based on the pictures below, would you guys recommend Invisalign + surgery? I would be willing to go through the surgery if I can see dramatic cosmetic improvements. But if the changes are minor, I'm not sure if it's worth the pain and possible side effects of losing feelings in my face.

Thank you in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:36:35 PM by Jawbawockeez »

David_D

• Private
Re: Would you recommend surgery based on these pictures?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »
Hi there.  It would be helpful if you posted three quarters view and profile photos as well, both with no expression and smiling.  Also, other than your lip, is there something else about your appearance specifically that you would like to change or improve?

Jawbawockeez

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »
Hi there.  It would be helpful if you posted three quarters view and profile photos as well, both with no expression and smiling.  Also, other than your lip, is there something else about your appearance specifically that you would like to change or improve?

Hi David - thank you for your response. To answer your question, I can't think of anything in particular I would change about my face. I wouldn't mind being better looking though :)

I'm evaluating the surgery and contemplating whether the improvement in appearance is drastic enough to make the surgery worthwhile. The doctor said he'll likely move my bottom jaw to the left and move my top jaw forward. Moving my bottom jaw would align my teeth. Moving my top jaw forward would create more convexity in my facial structure. Would this create a better look?

Also, for those who have gone through the surgery, did you notice if your jaw became weaker after surgery? I ask because I still compete in contact sports. Having a weak jaw is not ideal.

And as you asked, please see link below for three quarter views of my face. Apologies about my goofy look. I'm trying to show as much teeth as possible.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3yo-Vt180JFUldJX0FiQlNleDA

slidinggenio

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:07:25 AM »
I would recommend not getting surgery OP. Your asymmetry isn't severe and no one would notice it in real life. Photographs highlight asymmetries and aren't a good representation of what you look like in real life. It looks like you have good forward growth as well. I would put your hair as miles ahead as a priority than your jaw. And there is the possibility you'll look worse.

Jawbawockeez

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:51:23 PM »
I would recommend not getting surgery OP. Your asymmetry isn't severe and no one would notice it in real life. Photographs highlight asymmetries and aren't a good representation of what you look like in real life. It looks like you have good forward growth as well. I would put your hair as miles ahead as a priority than your jaw. And there is the possibility you'll look worse.

Haha thank you for the response. I laughed at the hair comment, although I completely agree with your statement :)

If I don't do the surgery, would you recommend braces to fix some of the teeth alignment issue?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 09:33:07 PM »
I think you look good. You have a nice smile. The asymmetry is TOTALLY not noticeable. So you're good brah. Forget their advice and forget this forum. You're good.

sleeplover69

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 12:31:46 AM »
I agree with the jaw nerds. Hardly anyone's face is 100% perfectly aligned. The misalignment is so subtle I wouldn't even have noticed if you didn't mention it. You look quite decent, actually. Just shave your head, and get braces at most.