Author Topic: Wider Nose after Upper Jaw Surgery  (Read 7675 times)

Vic

Wider Nose after Upper Jaw Surgery
« on: December 04, 2016, 06:37:27 AM »
Has anyones nose got wider after upper jaw surgery?

JawKid7

Re: Wider Nose after Upper Jaw Surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 02:42:35 PM »
yes
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »
Yes, marginally.

Vic

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »
Any of you bothering to get it fixed?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 03:44:31 PM »
Any of you bothering to get it fixed?
I did not have a great nose to begin with. I would probably need rhinoplasty regardless. Iow, my nose does not look worse, just different.
Did you have an alar cinch?

Vic

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 03:49:17 PM »
I did not have a great nose to begin with. I would probably need rhinoplasty regardless. Iow, my nose does not look worse, just different.
Did you have an alar cinch?

No, didn't have that

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »
No, didn't have that
Are you sure? It's almost default with lf1 these days (although some surgeons liked posnick don't believe in them). How big was your advancementt?

CCW

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »
Are you sure? It's almost default with lf1 these days (although some surgeons liked posnick don't believe in them).
Yeah, even NHS guys do alar cinches and ANS shaving. Widening of the nose is hard to prevent and in some cases impossible. I don't think it's always bad since for example LFS patients often have a very narrow nose that can sort of look unnatural. The slight widening actually makes it look better and more natural, I find (and I guess it also improves nasal breathing?). ANS shaving helps with upturning which can look (too) feminine on men, but it can also make a dorsal hump look less pronounced (often happens with downward growth). So nasal changes aren't always bad.

David_D

• Private
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 11:53:07 AM »
Yes, my nose is much wider.  I don't mind if much in repose.  In animation, it's not OK with me.  I've compensated by not smiling.  I will be having that addressed surgically.  I find it interesting just how much my nose got wider.

The after is on the right.

I had maxillary impaction and forward movement.  I think I shall be getting a rhinoplasty.

Vic

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »
Are you sure? It's almost default with lf1 these days (although some surgeons liked posnick don't believe in them). How big was your advancementt?

To be fair, i actually don't know. But will ask

PloskoPlus

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 02:32:12 PM »
To be fair, i actually don't know. But will ask
Fwiw, I heard zarrinbal  is a solid rhinoplasty surgeon. Wait 6-12 months  for the swelling to subside and he can do an alar resection. It's not a major surgery.

Vic

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »
Yea, I'm back with Dr Z in April for the side wing, so will get him to do it then

Vincent999

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 08:10:35 PM »
Yes, my nose is much wider.  I don't mind if much in repose.  In animation, it's not OK with me.  I've compensated by not smiling.  I will be having that addressed surgically.  I find it interesting just how much my nose got wider.

I had maxillary impaction and forward movement.  I think I shall be getting a rhinoplasty.
I see your upper lip became shorter. Did you get lip lift surgery or was it from your jaw surgery?

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 06:46:31 AM »

Your lips look fuller too so it matches the nose.   I think the after looks better than the before and wouldn't get any surgery.  I bet you can breath better through your nose too something I dream of !
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

David_D

• Private
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 08:07:04 AM »
Looks like lip lift, and looks like you already had rhinoplasty too? I would not opt for an even smaller nose. Your nose already seems like it is lacking some structural support and a good strong bridge and well-contoured but not too pointy tip that can make a face masculine. I think getting too much plastic surgery as a guy aiming to make features smaller and plastic surgery on soft tissue is not necessarily a good thing: can make a guy look too feminine.
That's why I want to aim at bone work rather than soft tissue.

Yes, you are correct about the lip lift and rhinoplasty.  I don't believe the rhinoplasty didn't cause the widening of the nose.  In many cases, bone/structural procedures might deliver a superior result to soft tissue procedures, in my opinion.  That said, I think soft tissue procedures definitely have their place.