Author Topic: Offered two-tier genioplasty.  (Read 1131 times)

Purist

Offered two-tier genioplasty.
« on: December 27, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »
In August, I attended a hospital for options to correct a moderately to severe retrognathia.

This was the third hospital I have attended for consultation in the past eighteen months.  The previous two declined to help, as they thought my lower jaw was too fragile and a BSSO would likely create more problems.

I should say, this is for aesthetic reasons only. I'm also in my forties.

Unlike the previous two hospitals, the surgeon at the third hospital thought a two-tier genioplasty (using a hip graft) would make a "significant improvement" to my profile.   Another option was a two-tier genioplasty with a Le Fort procedure but the surgeon thought the genioplasty would alone would make a massive improvement.

The first hospital declined a genioplasty saying I would have a witches chin but the third surgeon thought a two-tier approach would avoid this.  I may now approach another surgeon for a third opinion.

I can't seem to find much information on a "two-tier" genioplasty. And of course you always think of more questions after the consultation.  Has anyone here had such a procedure or does anyone know of any risks I should be aware of? I really want to avoid a witches chin and another concern is having my lower lip pulled down which I have heard stories about.

needadvancement

Re: Offered two-tier genioplasty.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 03:40:40 AM »
I assume you mean a SG with horizontal and vertical advancement. I had it done half a year ago. Great multi dimensional improvement, highly recommended for those who need it.

Lip pulled down? Actually it tends to do the opposite. I cant say for you without seeing photos..

Purist

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 07:24:56 AM »
Not so much vertical  I need > 15mm horizontal.  That's a big advancement for an SG.

needadvancement

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 09:28:06 AM »
So did I understand correctly what you mean with two-tier genioplasty?

Purist

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 11:20:50 AM »
From what I can gather there is not enough bone.  So he'll take some off the hip.  I'm sure if it is tiered (or stepped), there is no way to avoid some change in vertical height though.  I don't see much on the Internet about this procedure, also known as a double SG.

I'll have another appointment with the surgeon in March I hope, but was wondering if anyone else as had such a procedure.