Author Topic: Nasal surgery at the same time as Bimax?  (Read 2535 times)

UKMaxfac

Nasal surgery at the same time as Bimax?
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:37:19 AM »
When I saw Joel Defrancq and a UK surgeon they both said that if needs be, they could put spreader grafts in at the same time as performing Bimax.
My first instinct was a 'hell no' because the thought of them having to put the breathing tube into a mouth that's just undergone bimax a matter of minutes before seems insane... and perhaps that will make the swelling and recovery even longer / worse.

Does anyone have any insights into this? Is it worth doing? (bear in mind I have compromised breathing following a rhinoplasty 1 year ago) Has anyone done it?

diculo

Re: Nasal surgery at the same time as Bimax?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 12:30:24 PM »
What are the grafts for?

UKMaxfac

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »
What are the grafts for?

For whatever reason (I'm unclear) despite my septum being realigned (not perfectly but atleast improved) i have compromised breathing post-op.
The spreader grafts are to widen the dorsum and open up the nasal valves so they don't constrict when I breathe in.

At least I think thats what they do... I'm not an expert on rhinoplasty by any means.

ditterbo

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 03:15:56 PM »
Well this is anecdotal (me) but spreader grafts, septoplasty, turbinate reduction.. the works has made my breathing WORSE than it was pre-op. This was a standalone rhinosepto.  I've read of other people who just don't get breathing improvement from these surgeries, and some even get it worse.  Supposedly my voice turned more teenager raspy sounding as well.  But also read people breathe better from nasal surgery during bimax (eg Posnick people).  Do you have a bleeding disorder or just prolonged bleeding in general to things? I think I do so I personally would want to just opt out of nasal surgery at time of bimax. 

UKMaxfac

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »
Well this is anecdotal (me) but spreader grafts, septoplasty, turbinate reduction.. the works has made my breathing WORSE than it was pre-op. This was a standalone rhinosepto.  I've read of other people who just don't get breathing improvement from these surgeries, and some even get it worse.  Supposedly my voice turned more teenager raspy sounding as well.  But also read people breathe better from nasal surgery during bimax (eg Posnick people).  Do you have a bleeding disorder or just prolonged bleeding in general to things? I think I do so I personally would want to just opt out of nasal surgery at time of bimax.

Oh god... ok thanks for telling me at least.
Did they narrow the nose significantly? Any damage at the nasal valves?

kjohnt

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:10:53 AM »
IDK s**t about nose surgery so take this fwiw, but personally, I would definitely wait until jaws are healed first.  You can then analyze nose function (and appearance if that's part of it) without the extra variables.

brian626

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 12:37:27 AM »
Ive had septoplasy and it's impossible to breathe through your nose. I don't think you'll be able to breathe very well through your mouth after jaw surgery either. if you think you can endure it then doing both would be more convenient than separately, but be prepared for hell

Lord-of-the-Cartilage

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 12:43:20 AM »
Am I right in thinking that spreader grafts can widen the nostrils?
I want my nostrils to flare like a neanderthal.
Harvest, Harvest, Wherever You May Be; I Am the Lord of the Cartilage, Said He.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 02:17:43 AM »
Am I right in thinking that spreader grafts can widen the nostrils?
I want my nostrils to flare like a neanderthal.
Lol. I have that and jaws well ahead of my brow ridge too.

Jbird

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 08:19:20 AM »
Dr. Wolford recommended for me to do all at once plus a UPPP at the same time for severe sleep apnea.  I went ahead and got my nose done while I'm waiting for bimax, partly because I had the same concern as you about breathing after the surgery.  But I got septoplasty and turbinate reduction done and results are amazing.   I can breathe through my nose perfectly now which makes it easier to use CPAP.

Lord-of-the-Cartilage

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 08:29:28 AM »
Lol. I have that and jaws well ahead of my brow ridge too.

I know, I want to look like you, I think I said that a while ago. We always want what we don't have  ;D

UKMaxfac

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 12:18:55 PM »
Dr. Wolford recommended for me to do all at once plus a UPPP at the same time for severe sleep apnea.  I went ahead and got my nose done while I'm waiting for bimax, partly because I had the same concern as you about breathing after the surgery.  But I got septoplasty and turbinate reduction done and results are amazing.   I can breathe through my nose perfectly now which makes it easier to use CPAP.

Wow... lucky for you. I got septorhinoplasty and I can barely breathe now. No explanation from ENT's / other surgeons either. Life is a living hell.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 01:17:31 PM »
Wow... lucky for you. I got septorhinoplasty and I can barely breathe now. No explanation from ENT's / other surgeons either. Life is a living hell.

I had my septum straightened and my turbinates reduced.  Before surgery I could only breath out of the right nostril about 60% with the left fully blocked.  After surgery and an additional cauterization of my right turbinate I can now only breath out of my left nostril and my right is fully blocked.  The ENT's have no explanation for this for me either.   WTF??? Sounds like we are in the same boat!
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

Lord-of-the-Cartilage

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 01:56:29 PM »
My surgeon was going to reduce my turbinates but I got scared off by reading about empty nose syndrome, perhaps this is what you both have.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
My surgeon was going to reduce my turbinates but I got scared off by reading about empty nose syndrome, perhaps this is what you both have.

I didnt even know what ENS was at the time or I would never have let the second ENT do a cauterization after my 1st turbinate reduction. 
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(