Author Topic: Is it really necessary to go to the top Drs. for sliding genioplasty ?  (Read 1887 times)

eflru

I live in Germany and the well known Drs are Dr.Zarrinbal and Dr. Kater. But its like 500kms+ away for me.
I have some Maxillofacial surgeons in my near environment that are also educated/trained in plastic surgery.
Im unsure what to do

triot

Re: Is it really necessary to go to the top Drs. for sliding genioplasty ?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »
It's about your face. The thing that people will see first when they meet you and the thing people will judge you on first. You're looking for a permanent change and you want it to be the best possible outcome. If 500 km are an obstacle for you, I'd recommend you to refelect on how important this issue is really for you. Do you think you NEED to get it done to fulfill expectations of others or do you WANT to do it for yourself?
Remember, even if surgeons say the surgery is reversable, you never really know how the surgery affects your tissue (and thus complicating a reverse) and you don't know how your tissue will react to the reverse.

You can go to consultations with local surgeons, make them show you lots of photo material and let the explain the procedure in detail and please go to more than 2 or 3 surgeons. If you like what they're doing than I don't see a reason to not go with them. And please read and educate yourself on the surgery you're looking to get extensively.

needadvancement

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 12:17:40 PM »
Is this a standard forward sliding genioplasty? Then no an experienced maxillofacial surgeon should be able to handle this just fine. This is a basic procedure for them and remember that the big names can also have less than desirable outcomes.

Lestat

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:32:40 PM »
The answer to your question is: YES OF COURSE IT IS!

There are different tecniques of sg's, f.e.:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19640681

marcus3415

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 02:24:28 PM »
I think you could certainly interview and discuss the procedure and their preferred methodologies of doctors near you. It isn't a reckless and difficult procedure, my bet is an experienced oral surgeon (preferable to a PS) will break down technique / past results

Maxillofacial Scalpel

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:18 PM »
It depends on the chin concerns you have. If you have a chin recession issue that would be solved by advancing your chin posteriorly then I think it's safe to say that most plastic and maxillofacial surgeons can successfully operate on you. If your needs require more than one dimension of the chin altered you better look into surgeons who perform this type of procedure the most often.