Author Topic: should I get jaw surgery?  (Read 2817 times)

brian626

should I get jaw surgery?
« on: January 24, 2017, 10:27:47 PM »
hi guys, I'm 19 with class 3 malloclusion currently in early stages of braces. My orthodontist says I will need jaw surgery during/after my braces to eliminate my underbite but I've read A LOT about it and it seems really painful... (mainly not being able to eat). I feel it unnecessary to go through surgery just to look better, it doesn't necessarily change my genes (if it's a gene related thing) and I feel that anyone who would like anyone who wants to be my friend because 'my jaw is normal' wouldn't be a real friend anyways. However I've seen some post which say it could help with jaw pain,neck pain and problems breathing through the nose which I've had since I can remember and only gotten worse with braces but whatre the chances this is due to my jaw condition? Also I asked my dentist how far forward my bottom jaw will be after the braces since right now I can push my bottom jaw forward and fit a finger in there. I do hate the way it looks when I bite but I can move my jaw back and it looks normal. I feel surgery is excessive using hospital resources to look better. Do people think I should get the jaw surgery? thanks :)

David_D

• Private
Re: should I get jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 07:51:24 AM »
I had a large underbite addressed surgically and think it was the right choice.

Have you had your airway evaluated? Do you use all your teeth when eating? There are many possible reasons to have this surgery besides appearance related ones. As one gets older, I imagine that the health issues related to underbite may become worse- sleep apnea, tooth wear. Do you breathe through your mouth? That can also be related to dental and health problems, I believe.

When I first had surgery, I felt like I was having some somewhat frivolous surgery. In retrospect, I don't think so at all.

Of course, this is all a personal choice.

Lefortitude

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »
I wish i had your attitude.  Im getting jaw surgery for 90% aesthetic reasons and 10% because my relatively minor issues might get worse in the future when i wont be able to get the surgery.

I think its a personal choice, however, in the hands of the right surgeon, you can have alot of benefits. 

plus pain is temporary or so they say

ditterbo

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:37:39 PM »
I wish i had your attitude.  Im getting jaw surgery for 90% aesthetic reasons and 10% because my relatively minor issues might get worse in the future when i wont be able to get the surgery.

I think its a personal choice, however, in the hands of the right surgeon, you can have alot of benefits. 

Hmmm I wonder how many actual bimax results you've seen?  The issues can last forever post bimax. I'm not just talking about numbness.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 06:09:36 PM »
Hmmm I wonder how many actual bimax results you've seen?  The issues can last forever post bimax. I'm not just talking about numbness.
Correct. My recovery was an absolute breeze... Yet I have permanent numbness which is driving me mad. I don't see how I will ever get used to it.

brian626

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 12:23:10 AM »
Correct. My recovery was an absolute breeze... Yet I have permanent numbness which is driving me mad. I don't see how I will ever get used to it.
wow, yeah my surgeon told me about it, said most people get used to it but I feel it would be a bother, how long have you had it for ?

brian626

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 12:24:38 AM »
I had a large underbite addressed surgically and think it was the right choice.

Have you had your airway evaluated? Do you use all your teeth when eating? There are many possible reasons to have this surgery besides appearance related ones. As one gets older, I imagine that the health issues related to underbite may become worse- sleep apnea, tooth wear. Do you breathe through your mouth? That can also be related to dental and health problems, I believe.

When I first had surgery, I felt like I was having some somewhat frivolous surgery. In retrospect, I don't think so at all.

Of course, this is all a personal choice.
yes I breathe through my mouth when I don't think about it, I have been worried about tooth wear but maybe it won't be an issue when my braces come off

brian626

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 12:27:42 AM »

I completely understand, having an underbite is horrible, never smiling, trying to eat as discretely as possible and I've been self conscious about it for so long. But still, I don't think it will be true confidence if you need to fix everything.

Lord-of-the-Cartilage

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 12:51:52 AM »
I feel that anyone who would like anyone who wants to be my friend because 'my jaw is normal' wouldn't be a real friend anyways.

Unfortunately it's just nature, we try to get further and further away from our natural instincts and call it progressive but we are ultimately governed by nature. I wonder if people don't value the opinion of someone who doesn't look right because subconsciously we think that if they don't look right then they have bad genetics and bad genetics could equal poor intelligence.

You will have a worse quality of life health wise and socially without the surgery.
Harvest, Harvest, Wherever You May Be; I Am the Lord of the Cartilage, Said He.

brian626

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 02:05:56 AM »
Unfortunately it's just nature, we try to get further and further away from our natural instincts and call it progressive but we are ultimately governed by nature. I wonder if people don't value the opinion of someone who doesn't look right because subconsciously we think that if they don't look right then they have bad genetics and bad genetics could equal poor intelligence.

You will have a worse quality of life health wise and socially without the surgery.
yes, exactly, abnormal appearance often is a reflection of bad genetics, but hiding it can be similar to lying and yes you might look better and feel better about yourself but it's all fake.
I feel as though those who look odd are actually perceived as smart

Lord-of-the-Cartilage

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 02:29:24 AM »
yes, exactly, abnormal appearance often is a reflection of bad genetics, but hiding it can be similar to lying and yes you might look better and feel better about yourself but it's all fake.
I feel as though those who look odd are actually perceived as smart

Yes I agree that people who look a certain type of unconventional can be perceived as smart, I suppose that is due to the pop culture nerd sterotyoes. I don't know if what I said about matching intelligence with beauty is what really happens but I think my theory makes sense.

I remember when I was about 14, one of my school friends said something along the lines of, "have you noticed how when a good looking guy gives a speech in assembly, everyone agrees and believes him but if it is an ugly person then what they say becomes a joke".  Something like that, he must have been very perceptive for his age.

Anyway the point I was trying to make is that you seem to suggest that it is frivolous to alter your appearance, I disagree. Taking aesthetics aside, you have functional issues which this surgery could solve. Jaw surgery is not painful, you are given painkillers when needed but of course there are risks like losing sensation of lips.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 02:33:24 AM »
Class iii is hard to fix orthodontically. Make sure you consult with good surgeons (most are crap. Your local "best surgeon in the state" is a glorified dentist like most of them. Do your homework.). You're young, so long term complications from surgery are not likely.

Lord-of-the-Cartilage

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 02:35:26 AM »
Your local "best surgeon in the state" is a glorified dentist like most of them.
So true

brian626

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 01:01:08 AM »
thanks for the insight guys, I will probably go forward with the surgery and try to view the somewhat superficial aesthetic improvement as a bonus to trying to resolve my long term issues.