Author Topic: EpiBone  (Read 2816 times)

Lestat

EpiBone
« on: February 01, 2017, 12:20:58 PM »
Lazlo spoke about hypothetical medical breakthroughs in the future.

In the 19th century, it would have seemed inconceivable that bacterial infections could one day be killed off with a simple pill, but antibiotics would be arriving soon. Today, most people would say that growing real human body parts is impossible, but we’re starting to learn that that’s not the case.

Personally, I think that the next big medical breakthrough will be EpiBone.

They have developed a new method of growing human bones outside the body, using 3d technology.

The company is called EpiBone an her technique is surprisingly simple. A CT scan is taken of the patient’s damaged bone, and a 3D model is created. That 3D model is used to CNC mill an animal – usually cow – bone into the exact shape of the graft that needs to be implanted into the patient. Then, fat cells are taken from the patient, and stem cells from the fat are isolated. (Stem cells from fat are capable of growing into many other different forms of tissue, which makes them ideal for this process.) Those stem cells are placed into a bioreactor with the milled animal bone; the idea is that they will grow around the bone, essentially engulfing it – when the bioreactor is opened, a new bone comprised of the patient’s own cells will be ready for implant. Once it’s implanted, it continues to grow and merge with the bone around it.

Please take a look at their website:
http://epibone.com/

Plastic surgery is becoming a growing business. Let us imagine - Epibone is able to "create" calvarial bone from your own stem cells.

As you might know, calvarial bone is the only permanent material for facial bone augmentation in order to stay "natty"!
Two world class surgeons confirmed me that!

Would it not be the perfect material for facial bone augmentation?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:07:48 AM by Lestat »

ptc

Re: Perfect material for facial bone augmentation!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 12:53:08 PM »
Lazlo spoke about hypothetical medical breakthroughs in the future.

In the 19th century, it would have seemed inconceivable that bacterial infections could one day be killed off with a simple pill, but antibiotics would be arriving soon. Today, most people would say that growing real human body parts is impossible, but we’re starting to learn that that’s not the case.

Personally, I think that the next big medical breakthrough will be EpiBone.

They have developed a new method of growing human bones outside the body, using 3d technology.

The company is called EpiBone an her technique is surprisingly simple. A CT scan is taken of the patient’s damaged bone, and a 3D model is created. That 3D model is used to CNC mill an animal – usually cow – bone into the exact shape of the graft that needs to be implanted into the patient. Then, fat cells are taken from the patient, and stem cells from the fat are isolated. (Stem cells from fat are capable of growing into many other different forms of tissue, which makes them ideal for this process.) Those stem cells are placed into a bioreactor with the milled animal bone; the idea is that they will grow around the bone, essentially engulfing it – when the bioreactor is opened, a new bone comprised of the patient’s own cells will be ready for implant. Once it’s implanted, it continues to grow and merge with the bone around it.

Please take a look at their website:
http://epibone.com/

Plastic surgery is becoming a growing business. Let us imagine - Epibone is able to "create" calvarial bone from your own stem cells.

As you might know, calvarial bone is the only permanent material for facial bone augmentation in order to stay "natty"!
Two world class surgeons confirmed me that!

Would it not be the perfect material for facial bone augmentation?

LOL, just no, no, NO.

Epibone is not a breakthrough. Milling tiny fragments of bone is not any kind of breakthrough, and this product will never make it to market. It is not genuine 3D printing, they cannot create full scale implants, just tiny bits of bone that they shape later on. So stupid. I have already pointed out years ago on this forum that EpiBone will fail because superior 3D printing technologies already exist.

I created a thread about hyperelastic bone, which is a genuine wonder material of the 21st century, and you tried to s**t on it. HB is vastly superior to EpiBone in every way. Full scale Hyperelastic Bone implants will revolutionise surgeries in a few years. You are a fool for not realising this, and instead posting this old information about EpiBone, a fake 'breakthrough' LOL, which has already been debunked.

EpiBone is not the perfect material for facial bone augmentation, it never will be. You cannot create genuine full scale printed implants from it. It is a complete waste of time. The people working on it should give up now. Hyperelastic bone and maybe CT-Bone are the future.

For anyone interested in genuine breakthroughs, not clueless misinformation see this thread

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=6366.0
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:16:56 PM by GJ »

Lestat

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »
The most innovative material for facial bone augmentation at the moment is Peek.

For everything else: Time will tell.

Maxillofacial Scalpel

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »
The most innovative material for facial bone augmentation at the moment is Peek.

For everything else: Time will tell.

Polyetheretherketone (PEEK) implants isn't really the most reliable way for augmentation of the facial skeleton, at least from a purely cosmetic standpoint. You should consider the most important reasons to be the large incision that would have to be made in order for the implants to be inserted and fixed into place and also the fact that there are pretty much the same risks for asymmetry with implants made of any other material.

ppsk

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 01:12:51 PM »
Polyetheretherketone (PEEK) implants isn't really the most reliable way for augmentation of the facial skeleton, at least from a purely cosmetic standpoint. You should consider the most important reasons to be the large incision that would have to be made in order for the implants to be inserted and fixed into place and also the fact that there are pretty much the same risks for asymmetry with implants made of any other material.

sure but the same could be said about anything that isn't silicone re the large incision. Its not like it hasn't or isn't done? I'm not sure how different the process for PEEK is as opposed to say, medpor, but given they are both regarded as "hard" substances, its probably similar.

Even titanium has been used!!

Maxillofacial Scalpel

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 01:23:34 PM »
sure but the same could be said about anything that isn't silicone re the large incision. Its not like it hasn't or isn't done? I'm not sure how different the process for PEEK is as opposed to say, medpor, but given they are both regarded as "hard" substances, its probably similar.

Even titanium has been used!!

Medpor implants in terms of stiffness are more close to that of silicone ones rather than the stiffness of titanium or PEEK implants.

Really there is no advantage to a stiff metallic material as an implant. Because bone is the backing for all implant materials, they all become osseointegrated once they're fixed in place.

ppsk

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »
Medpor implants in terms of stiffness are more close to that of silicone ones rather than the stiffness of titanium or PEEK implants.

Really there is no advantage to a stiff metallic material as an implant. Because bone is the backing for all implant materials, they all become osseointegrated once they're fixed in place.

Yes I heard this from Eppley too, but I cannot accept it honestly. Other surgeons say that medpor provides superior aesthetic results for whatever reason. The bone is indeed the backing, but to say the hardness of the material overlaying the implant is of no factor?? How could that even be possible, a soft material would be compressed by the force the masseter muscle

Maxillofacial Scalpel

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 02:54:48 PM »
Yes I heard this from Eppley too, but I cannot accept it honestly. Other surgeons say that medpor provides superior aesthetic results for whatever reason. The bone is indeed the backing, but to say the hardness of the material overlaying the implant is of no factor?? How could that even be possible, a soft material would be compressed by the force the masseter muscle

Silicone isn't so soft to be disrupted by the masseter muscle as easily as you describe.

The superior aesthetic results arguement doesn't make any sense because Medpor implants are much harder to modify and have a higher infection rate than silicone implants. While it is true that because of their firmer consistency and materials properties Medpor implants more resemble bone it is not likely that choosing this material will provide you with optimal results due to the difficulty of carving implants made from this material.

Note that custom made implants from Medpor material is not currently possible.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:43:16 PM by Maxillofacial Scalpel »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 01:13:33 AM »
LOL, just no, no, NO.

Epibone is not a breakthrough. Milling tiny fragments of bone is not any kind of breakthrough, and this product will never make it to market. It is not genuine 3D printing, they cannot create full scale implants, just tiny bits of bone that they shape later on. So stupid. I have already pointed out years ago on this forum that EpiBone will fail because superior 3D printing technologies already exist.

I'm sorry but you understand absolutely nothing. Please stop misleading people here. I created a thread about hyperelastic bone, which is a genuine wonder material of the 21st century, and you tried to s**t on it. HB is vastly superior to EpiBone in every way. Full scale Hyperelastic Bone implants will revolutionise surgeries in a few years. You are a fool for not realising this, and instead posting this old information about EpiBone, a fake 'breakthrough' LOL, which has already been debunked.

EpiBone is not the perfect material for facial bone augmentation, it never will be. You cannot create genuine full scale printed implants from it. It is a complete waste of time. The people working on it should give up now. Hyperelastic bone and maybe CT-Bone are the future.

For anyone interested in genuine breakthroughs, not clueless misinformation see this thread

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=6366.0

I don't think you understand what this is. I agree it's hugely revolutional. And if they can get it to market by 2023-25 that would be amazing. It is indeed cretaing a scaffold and then generating actual BONE that is YOURS. read this article:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-regrow-your-own-bones/?WT.mc_id=SA_TW_TECH_FEAT

ONLY THING I"VE SEEN THAT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS PROMISE.

Lestat

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 04:45:29 AM »
I don't think you understand what this is. I agree it's hugely revolutional. And if they can get it to market by 2023-25 that would be amazing. It is indeed cretaing a scaffold and then generating actual BONE that is YOURS. read this article:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-regrow-your-own-bones/?WT.mc_id=SA_TW_TECH_FEAT

ONLY THING I"VE SEEN THAT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS PROMISE.

Couldn't agree more!

+1