Author Topic: have I ruined my face and my life or can sth be done?  (Read 9355 times)

usedtobepretty

have I ruined my face and my life or can sth be done?
« on: February 05, 2017, 05:02:35 AM »
Im 4,5 weeks post op. I was a great looking girl before my 1st orthodontic (extractions..) my face collapsed when I was 29, got camouflage and spaces back for implants but wasn't happy (my profile was still unbalanced and my front teeth were very much tilted out (like rabbit) looked good en face - profile terrible. So I did 3rd ortho (closed gaps for new teeth before inserting implants) and underwent double jaw surgery (5mm downdraft 5 mm forward and genio(3mm)/genio was a decision of surgeon during surgery. Other dimensions were discussed although I did say I think 5 mm forward is not enough.
Now nearly 5 wks post op I am absolutely devastated. 1. I look like a hamster (hope still due to swelling?) but that is not the worst.. I look completely different ..not like myself anymore (I always had a small face now it seems huge and veery long/male like) theres nothing pretty about me now and whats most distressing is I have no tooth show at rest, little when smiling maybe 40-50% (btw fake smiling cause I look like a clown when trying to smile) I also have very narrow lips (from left to right) (my lip is hanging teeth do not support it :( they're to narrow or far back I do not know :(. Please share how much of all still has a chance to resolve w time? do I need a revision? (Id rather kill myself and I cannot imagine what that must be to nerves and muscles, I already have one mandibular branch stretch which results in lip unevenness) .. on the other hand, all this effort, pain, money and now I ended up not even having as much as good looking smile? not to mention harmonious face, Im devastated. :(( can anyone relate?

The Quest for Aesthetics

Re: have I ruined my face and my life or can sth be done?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 07:08:01 AM »
Tonnes of patients experience this. First as the shock of the swelling hits them and then secondly as the swelling dissipates they see a face different from what they had before. When something changes about our face especially if the specific aesthetic effect is unforeseen by the patient, the immediate reaction is to despise it. The same thing happens when we see our face without it being flipped by the mirror, it's because it's something unfamiliar about something so familiar to us. This is why many patients view their post-op results through a negatively skewed viewpoint. It's important to try and pull back from this mentality and attempt an objective view of the situation. I know it's difficult, but you have to try to ask yourself if there's any real basis to your negative appraisal, or whether it's really in your head. Sometimes patients complain about this when they clearly look better afterwards.

Oh and yes at 5 weeks there will be at least a bit of swelling, some people take longer to settle down than others so give it another month or so, another two months for the final 'look'.

JawKid7

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 08:33:17 AM »
wait another 2-3 months atleast
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

usedtobepretty

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:52:59 AM »
Thank you both. I understand what you're describing and some of my feelings may be linked to that weird "off" feeling when looking at a new face. (I was prepped by psychologist for that It was mandatory w my surgeon)however, there are some objective factors which worries me .. actually makes me sick to the stomach :( .. I show no teeth @rest, it looks awful, upper lip is not supported by teeth arch which makes lips look awful as well :( and my face looks sad (corners turning downwards). I may have some upper lip swelling still I guess and upper lip is quite numb (movement is not 100%) but still.. I don't think this is correct, has anyone experienced the same at 5 weeks to see it resolve later? (too long upper lip)? Ive been given exercises by physiotherapist and Im making those 3x days.
Thank you for your feedback. I will of course wait another 2 months and I hope it'll get better. does it really make big difference? (1 month vs 3 months post op?/in terms of the look/aesthetics)?

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »
Thank you both. I understand what you're describing and some of my feelings may be linked to that weird "off" feeling when looking at a new face. (I was prepped by psychologist for that It was mandatory w my surgeon)however, there are some objective factors which worries me .. actually makes me sick to the stomach :( .. I show no teeth @rest, it looks awful, upper lip is not supported by teeth arch which makes lips look awful as well :( and my face looks sad (corners turning downwards). I may have some upper lip swelling still I guess and upper lip is quite numb (movement is not 100%) but still.. I don't think this is correct, has anyone experienced the same at 5 weeks to see it resolve later? (too long upper lip)? Ive been given exercises by physiotherapist and Im making those 3x days.
Thank you for your feedback. I will of course wait another 2 months and I hope it'll get better. does it really make big difference? (1 month vs 3 months post op?/in terms of the look/aesthetics)?

Depends on the individual and the anti-swelling measures you took. After 5 weeks it's still feasible for swelling to visibly distort the result yes if that's what you're asking. You may or may not see those things a couple of months down the line, so there's no point in even thinking about it yet.

Kingusia87

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »
I am very sorry  that you are not  satisfied with your result. Maybe you should wait longer till the swelling go down.
That seems strange to me because I am thinking about similar movements - 3 mm down and 4 forward to have MORE teeth exposure and BETTER lip support. I don't understand why you get something opposite from the movements which should improve teeth visibility and lip support as well. Did you talk with surgeon about it ?

ditterbo

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 10:41:27 AM »
Curious what you meant by your face collapsed at 29?

usedtobepretty

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 11:00:56 AM »
Thank you! Yes I find that strange as well. Of course I spoke to my surgeon he said "I admit, you're right" he said part of it is due to lip being longer cause of muscles being cut but I must ask him again and maybe also ask to see post surgery photos to see the actual movement (what he has done)/
b4 surgery i had 2 mm teeth show @ rest now its zero.
By "my face collapsed" I meant the soft tissues. I had 2 teeth pulled out as a baby. All was fine but my teeth were a bit crooked so @ age 25 I got braces. my orthodontist pulled another tooth then and pushed all teeth back. That is when your face collapses. Literary. I can upload photos if you wish, I aged 10-15 years in 3 years.
I think part of whats wrong with my surgery effects is my upper jaw should have been widened before BIMAX. Now Its too late for everything I guess. I feel absolutely helpless. I thought after 10 years of this nightmare Ill be able to smile comfortably again.

girl

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
Thank you! Yes I find that strange as well. Of course I spoke to my surgeon he said "I admit, you're right" he said part of it is due to lip being longer cause of muscles being cut but I must ask him again and maybe also ask to see post surgery photos to see the actual movement (what he has done)/
By "my face collapsed" I meant the soft tissues. I had 2 teeth pulled out as a baby. All was fine but my teeth were a bit crooked so @ age 25 I got braces. my orthodontist pulled another tooth then and pushed all teeth back. That is when your face collapses. Literary. I can upload photos if you wish, I aged 10-15 years in 3 years.
I think part of whats wrong with my surgery effects is my upper jaw should have been widened before BIMAX. Now Its too late for everything I guess. I feel absolutely helpless. I thought after 10 years of this nightmare Ill be able to smile comfortably again.

Don't despair, please. You can get it sorted.

Where did you get this done (country)? Are you sure re. the nerve weakness - and what part of the surgery is this caused by? You're only a few weeks P/O so that should improve.

Maxilliary downgrafting should never be done on anyone who doesn't have a runt-like appearance. Everyone (especially women) can get away with having a slightly too short face.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »

If you're not comfortable posting pics publicly feel free to private message them and I'll see if I can make anything of them

usedtobepretty

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 02:14:14 PM »
Don't despair, please. You can get it sorted.

Where did you get this done (country)? Are you sure re. the nerve weakness - and what part of the surgery is this caused by? You're only a few weeks P/O so that should improve.

Maxilliary downgrafting should never be done on anyone who doesn't have a runt-like appearance. Everyone (especially women) can get away with having a slightly too short face.

Thank you. how can I get it sorted? I can't imagine another surgery :( You're right about down grafting. I was asking my doc to only move forward and more than he wanted, especially that I was never bothered by my short face. I kinda liked it.. having said that I must admit my nose did seem a bit "too close" to my chin but I believe with widening jaw (SARPE or DNA appliance) and then moving fwd all these problems would have been resolved :( Re nerve weakness - Im sure and my surgeon said he saw it already @operating table and could be from hooks pressing on the nerve. Im not panicking about that, hoping this will be back. I just feel my face is too long now (male like:( especially with genii additionally (which I also never wanted). and at the same time my MAJOR problem (teeth too far back) hasn't been resolved and I look toothless :( . I had my surgery done in Poland.

usedtobepretty

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 02:28:15 PM »
If you're not comfortable posting pics publicly feel free to private message them and I'll see if I can make anything of them

thank you heaps.will do tomorrow.

usedtobepretty

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 08:19:08 AM »
OMG so sad :( sorry for you, pls tell more about nerve damage? how come is this from waiting too long? what happened?
I can't get myself to post photos its solo depressing looking at my "before" :( Im scared to even think about revision..
My doctor keep telling me all is great. Its not. I can see it, my friends too..
I hate myself for not standing up and pushing for having it done the way I felt was right. I wish doctors would understand facial harmony and patient satisfaction is NOT about measuring the face and making sure all 1/3rds are same hight! I am devastated.

usedtobepretty

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 08:19:51 AM »
OMG so sad :( sorry for you, pls tell more about nerve damage? how come is this from waiting too long? what happened?
I can't get myself to post photos its solo depressing looking at my "before" :( Im scared to even think about revision..
My doctor keep telling me all is great. Its not. I can see it, my friends too..
I hate myself for not standing up and pushing for having it done the way I felt was right. I wish doctors would understand facial harmony and patient satisfaction is NOT about measuring the face and making sure all 1/3rds are same hight! I am devastated.

ps. no I didn't get implants before surgery my teeth were pushed back again and spaces were closed.

kjohnt

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »
The problem with threads like this is that nobody can even know for sure if what you're seeing is legitimate or a negatively skewed perception of yourself, and nobody can answer "what can be done?" because nobody knows what was done / what is.  If you don't post pictures or xrays, any answers within this thread are conjecture.

Also, I agree with others that five weeks may be too soon to judge the outcome, though I'd think you should have a pretty good idea of how everything will generally look by that point...