Author Topic: Damage control after a botched surgery and some updates  (Read 1653 times)

PhoenixHiker

Damage control after a botched surgery and some updates
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »
Exactly one year ago I had a failed jaw surgery (Dr D in Phx,AZ) that resulted in a severe asymmetrical bite and jaw (See my pics and xrays below). I posted similar posts in this forum before and got a lot of supports.  I contacted the surgeon again this Feb and he (again!) refused to admit any errors and refused to provide any details how many mm he moved my jaws. However this time he said he would like to do a revision WITH FULL CHARGES. I consulted two other local surgeons and they both confirmed it's not an ideal result, but neither of them can do a full revision. They are only willing to perform genioplasty (chin surgery). I'm very devastated. So here I'm asking you advice:::::
1) Can genioplasty alone correct this mess? I'm pretty concerned about my jaw asymmetry. Or do I have to have a full revision?
2) I would never go to Dr D. who created this mess, but  he told me he's the only one capable of doing revisions for me (with FULL charges of course) and he offered me a "mortgage" to pay him $ for 12 months ---- I really don't have much saving now.
3) I have a job so traveling may not be an option for me. Only phoenix area.
4) As I mentioned in another post, I'm not allowed to directly mention his name (threatening law suits) , but I can still put my own pics and xrays here!

Here're my pics:   http://imgur.com/a/joaP5

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you all!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:15:49 AM by PhoenixHiker »

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
Re: Damage control after a botched surgery and some updates
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:02:11 PM »
Sue this guy and use the proceeds on a good revision surgeon.
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 12:42:54 AM »
Don't ever get a surgery with Dr. REED H DAY!!!!! f**k THAT GUY. HE'LL BOTCH YOU.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
If you want to file a lawsuit, there are always statute of limitations.
Make sure you file within those, and that you get opinions from other surgeons on this surgeon's malpractice claim. They can be good witnesses in Court if the lawsuit is allowed to proceed.
Otherwise, why don't you just write a letter to the surgeon and address your concerns? Get expert opinions, and present it to him, then maybe file a complaint if they are not willing to workout a solution, then proceed onwards until you have a resolution.
I know a case far far far worse. He cannot get anyone to testify for him. It's a damn cabal. They all know each other.

PhoenixHiker

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »
If you want to file a lawsuit, there are always statute of limitations.
Make sure you file within those, and that you get opinions from other surgeons on this surgeon's malpractice claim. They can be good witnesses in Court if the lawsuit is allowed to proceed.
Otherwise, why don't you just write a letter to the surgeon and address your concerns? Get expert opinions, and present it to him, then maybe file a complaint if they are not willing to workout a solution, then proceed onwards until you have a resolution.

Other surgeons all told me "it's not an ideal result" or "it's not the best", but obviously none of then will show up in court

LyraM45

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »
I've been through this mess.  I feel for you big time.  RE: statute of limitations. I had a year in CA.  Suing is incredibly difficult.  Mxfc's are part of a good old boy's club.  Esp locally.  They all know eachother and you are going to have a hell of a time finding an expert witness to testify against somebody they know.  It's a whole "don't s**t where you eat thing." I ran in to this problem.  My case was SO blatantly negligent, and despite having multiple big name opinions saying how bad it was (one coming right out and asking me if I had a lawyer yet), none of them would actually testify.  All were willing to take on my very complex revision, but none were willing to testify on the standard of care from the first botched job.  My revision surgeon is VERY careful to chose his words wisely with me through out my 2.5 year revision treatment with him now.  He's very careful to say enough to let me know what is up, but nothing that comes right out and says anything like negligence or anything that can come back and bite him in his ass in discovery later.

It's an exhausting ordeal to go through trying to fix yourself medically AND deal with the legal side of it. I did it for a year and I was very much emotionally exhausted.  You can also look in to filing a complaint with your state medical/dental licensing board.  Right now I have that going for me and they have opened an investigation.  At least I'll get a little justice there hopefully.  My primary goal was first fixing me medically though.  It was a tough road, but I did it.  I'd hit the pavement and get on a path to getting you fixed too.  And if you really want to go after this guy, start consulting lawyers.  Request ALL of your records and start putting everything together.  It's a lot to do, but worth it if it works out.