Author Topic: medpor jaw angle vs "side"/chin wing  (Read 1617 times)

ppsk

medpor jaw angle vs "side"/chin wing
« on: February 24, 2017, 03:25:04 PM »
Near as I can tell, medpor for jaw augmentation comes in three different styles. The chief one of interest provides lateral and vertical augmentation ("drop down")

The lateral augmentation is sized in 3mm, 7mm and 11mm.

This got me to thinking, the side wing is reportedly 5mm on average? Repeated twice over the space of two years, lets be generous and say you get 5mm each time, although some here have reported as much as 7 or even 14mms. This would be as large an augmentation as the largest size medpor you can get. Members have also reported that the vertical effect is the more impressive with the wing than the lateral is.

I'm planning on getting bimax with some form of augmentation, which will either be chin/"side" wing in the same operation, or medpor jaw angles.

Obviously numbers out of context cant tell you the whole tale, but it would seem the wing is comparable to implants, despite protestations from some members that it isn't. Would any members who have had the side wing with Z etc be willing to share before/afters with me privately?

Milli_Meters

Re: medpor jaw angle vs "side"/chin wing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 03:51:13 PM »
I hope folks who have had side wings do replenish this thread.  How much is the time gap suggested between 2 side/chin wings? 1 year?

Vic

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 04:24:31 PM »
If you're planning on getting jaw implants, then you get custom made implants. You're a fool if you get the off the shelf implants at set sizes. I wouldn't get implants myself but if I had to you'd want them custom made to fit your mandible like a glove and also have it whatever size you like

ppsk

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 08:08:29 PM »
If you're planning on getting jaw implants, then you get custom made implants. You're a fool if you get the off the shelf implants at set sizes. I wouldn't get implants myself but if I had to you'd want them custom made to fit your mandible like a glove and also have it whatever size you like

late response but have you seen eppley's "results" with the custom jobs? They all look like s**t.

every single one of them. There is only one decent, result anywhere on his website and its tucked deep away in the recesses of his blog, i have no idea why, but there it is.

Conversely I have seen a few results of "off the shelf" medpor implant jobs, particular with the RZ "mandibular matrix" style (its just wraparound combination) that look quite good. The whole custom thing seems like a scam for the surgeon to skim a little more off the top rather than being anything of notable improvement. In fact the only good results I've seen all come out studies published before custom was even a thing!  :-\

Anyway general bump.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »
Good thing I'm getting medpor for the gonial angle to flare it out and bony movement for the remainder of the mandibular border and the chin (Mabye bone shaving also, not sure yet)