Author Topic: Gunson's Airway Analysis - Even Accurate??  (Read 895 times)

ditterbo

Gunson's Airway Analysis - Even Accurate??
« on: March 25, 2017, 05:56:39 PM »
My sleep apnea score is 10 from a past sleep study.  My airway also looks wildly different in different x-ray's, poses etc. because Gunson had forced my jaw back into its 'natural position' (my face naturally juts it forward 2-3mm) for a ceph, but another doc's x-ray did not require that. 

If I look specifically at Gunson's airway analysis imaging, Gunson had my incisors hold onto a piece of clay while he ran the imaging.  I can't recall if my jaw was fully seated in the condyles or jutted forward as I normally hold it, but does it look like I'm pushing my tongue back into my mouth? My minimal posterior airway space (PAS) looks like it's affected by the tongue position, and you can see my tongue isn't anywhere close to the front incisors.  Looks like it's kind of forced down and back into my mouth?  Either way I think an airway size of 186mm is safely beyond the danger zone for significant sleep apnea, right?   

http://i.imgur.com/HTrra1A.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/G0mJtDW.jpg

slysurfz

• Private
Re: Gunson's Airway Analysis - Even Accurate??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 07:20:12 PM »
I had my surgeon force it back as well while doing the analysis they said they do it to get the worst scenario possible as thats what happens during sleep when everything becomes floppy.

CCW

Re: Gunson's Airway Analysis - Even Accurate??
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:27:50 AM »
Gunson's analysis is correct and the other guy's isn't. All x-rays and dental molds need to be taken in centric relation or they aren't accurate. That's the correct/true relationship of your jaws. But yes, your numbers almost double the anecdotal OSA threshold and cross-section minimum values.