Author Topic: Can i decompensate my teeth first while finding a suitable plan?  (Read 1389 times)

Wheatsnax

Not going to take a surgery-first approach due to my complicated bite from extractions/camouflage class 2 that relapsed hard when I hit a growth spurt in my teens.

Can I just go ahead and decompensate my teeth to match my jaw (and mess up my bite in the mean time - don't mind tbh its already bad) while shopping around for a surgery plan anyway? I will be consulting around for at least a year anyway and it would save time

PloskoPlus

Re: Can i decompensate my teeth first while finding a suitable plan?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »
Depends. Some need to spend over a year in braces before surgery, others 3 months. If you're in the later category, you'd be wearing braces for 9 months for nothing. The less time you wear them, the better for your gums and teeth. Anyway, a good ortho is very important - many underestimate this. Make sure you find one experienced with surgical orthodontics.

Wheatsnax

Re: Can i decompensate my teeth first while finding a suitable plan?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »
Don't even know how to find one good local one at this point. Can't even find a good surgeon locally let alone trust their ortho recommendations.

This is also why I refuse to do surgery first even if I get a stellar plan and surgeon with foresight